[vb_main_1]

quilting on a domestic machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting on a domestic machine

First, I must say that finding TQS has been one of the most beneficial discoveries in my short quilting journey. The shows are informative and inspiring! Thank you!

My request is this. Please feature someone quilting a full size quilt on a domestic machine. I began quilting in January of 2014 and was able to purchase my first Bernina at that time. It is a B250, but I have managed to complete three large projects using straight line quilting only. Is it possible to free motion quilt on such a small machine? I am also interested in trying a "quilt-as-you-go" project. This could possibly work better with the equipment I have.

Thanks again for brilliant programing!

Sincerely,

Carol Johnson
    Waynesboro, GA

Hi Carol -
    I'm just a member so can't influence the programming, but I do free-motion quilting on my domestic machine and there are a lot of well-known show quilters who do the same. Example TQS show quilters who use DSMs for quilting include Janet Stone and Sherry Reynolds just off the top of my head. There are several methods for controlling the quilt while quilting. Some roll the quilt, but I find that too bulky and, for me, rolling causes the quilt to feel heavier and harder to move. But for some this works really well. I use a method called "pooling". If you want a class about quilting large quilts on a DSM, I would recommend Anne Peterson's class about just this on craftsy.com. I'm not affiliated with Craftsy or Anne, but I do love the Craftsy classes. I believe there are also a lot of YouTube videos about this, but haven't wanted any myself. I would do a search on YouTube to see what you can find. That should tide you over until TQS has a show about this.

Comment

Hi Carol-
      YES! This is very do-able. See Episode 207 where near the beginning, Ricky shows how to maneuver an eighty inch quilt under the arm of a small Bernina. It takes patience and lots of readjusting (just ask Sherry Reynolds!) but it can be done. As with everything associated with quilting (and art in general), practice, practice, practice!
      Cindy Bell Neville

Comment

Hi, it is easier to do after watching someone. Leah Days videos are really good, she also has info on setting up your machine.
        http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.co.uk/p/start-here.html. And she shoes it on a domestic machine

This is about doing the stitching rather than manipulating the quilt

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I'll second Nancy's suggestion on Anne Peterson's class on Craftsy, she shows several ways to quilt on a small machine that I never would have thought of on my own. Great class. So far, the largest I have done on my machine is a twin size, but eventually I want to do one for my queen size bed and I know it is manageable. Practicing on smaller quilts helps to build my confidence.

Kathy

Comment

Quilting bed sized quilts on a DM is doable, but do make sure that you have plenty of table space behind, to the left and in front of the machine to take the weight of the quilt.

Comment

If you are a star member there is a DVD available to watch on TQS. Go to Watch above and click on Guest DVDs. The one is by Renae Allen. There may be some others there too. Also check out the classroom under the Learn tab. Good luck with your quilting.

Comment

Cathy, thank you for the reminder regarding the Guest DVDs! I noticed the Renae will have a new DVD posting on July 15th. This is awesomet news.

Have a great day,

Kathy

Comment

Carol, There are a whole bunch of us who are in agreement about the outstanding resource that TQS is for quilters. I have learned so much in the 5 years I've been a member. Ricky's infer/demo re quilting a large quilt on a domestic machine is outstanding. Good luck.

Comment

Wow! What great advice from all of you! I'll be following your advice ASAP!

Comment

You should check out Paula Reid and her Fluff & Stuff method. There was a free video on the website once but I can't find it now but you can watch her on YouTube here:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmbTbbDclw
                      I use this method when I FMQ
                      HTH
                      Marianne

Comment

Not only do I agree with you that the quality of the program content here at TQS is superb, but if you hang around the forum long enough you will find amazing skill and advice will come your way from members. Andre' makes regular posts with all the measurements and tutorials you need if you are constructing the BOM 1/2 size. Our own PosyP, Rosemary, Embroideress Extrodinaire is an an apprentice trained embroideress at the Royal Academy of …. Anyway her collegues are the ones who get to make wedding gowns and etc. for the royal family. She shares her knowledge & skills freely. I'll let her correct you on info re her credentials. TQS is really a pretty neat place and pretty interesting people hang out here.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 76 users online. 0 members and 76 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X