[vb_main_1]

Starching Fabric

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starching Fabric

There will always be at least two sides of every quilting debate and this is another one.

Sue Garman never uses starch (and only occasionally will use a tiny dot of glue) and her quilts are fabulous. http://suegarman.blogspot.com/

Diane Gaudynski makes her own starch like this because she is allergic to commercial fragrances:

Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARx3CGQPCE

And Anita Grossman Soloman offers this advice: http://www.marcusbrothers.com/featur...ssman_solomon/

Personally, I prefer to mix my own spray starch with Sta-Flo brand starch 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. I generously spray my fabric on old beach towels (to absorb the excess) and let it air dry overnight. When it's dry it will easily iron perfectly flat with a steam iron, and I don't have to keep ironing with a hot dry iron until the fabric is dry.

Whether you prefer to use starch or not, I hope that you will try several techniques until you find what works best for you.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

I never starched my fabric before I found the forum during Laura Nownes class and it was suggested to me to try. It has improved my piecing a lot. I use Diane Gaudynski's recipe because I don't like to use any chemicals and had tried a spray starch once a long time ago that had me gasping for air and gave me a severe headache.
    Thanks for the link to Anita Grossman Soloman's idea of sewing the fabric up before washing. I will try that next time I buy some.
    Marianne

Comment

Rather than sewing my fabric up before washing, I set my washer to the "hand wash" cycle and I have no problem with fraying. I also snip the corners of my fabric(at the selvage) with a pair of pinking sheers (half to an inch) prior to throwing fabric into the wash. With the hand wash cycle, the fabric does not move around as much in the tub and does not get all twisted together. So far, it's worked every time. If it matters, I have a front loading washer.

Comment

Renata,
        I have a front loader too and have tried various ways of cutting (pinking blade) as well as cutting off the corners but I usually get a bundle of threads on the edges. I use an ECO program for washing the fabrics maybe that is why - I will try a wool program instead. I have also tried to put the fabric inside a pillowcase but that didn't make any difference to the result.
        So much to learn - but what a great place to learn from
        Have a great Sunday
        Marianne

Comment

I have a front loader as well. I put the fabric in a lingerie bag and put the "delicate" cycle on and I have very good luck. I cut a piece of the corner off before putting my fabric into the bag. Even my fat quarters come out intact.

Comment

i used to wash my fabric and starch it on the last cycle. but since then.
            i dont wash my fabrics, i do starch with spray what ever i need to the current quilt that i am working on.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 73 users online. 0 members and 73 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X