[vb_main_1]

A major repair

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A major repair

A question posted by TQS today on Face Book asks: Do you have any tips for someone wanting to repair a worn quilt?

Just last week I had to repair a hole chewed by a new puppy in a quilt I made for my niece a couple of years ago.

Here is black paper behind the hole:

Here is black paper behind the patch I made. These are 2" squares and I only found scraps for exact match on 2 of the fabrics, so just substituted similar fabrics:

Here is the final patch. Her father (my brother) said not to make the patch invisible. It's not bad from an arm's length away, but I outlined the area where the hole was with GLOW IN THE DARK thread! :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

That's brilliant Margo. I love the idea of glow in the dark thread. And the outline looks a little like a map of North America :?: to me anyway. Now there's an idea. You could quilt a map of the world on a quilt for a child that only shows up once the lights are off!

Comment

I made a snowman quilt for my grandchildren with snowflakes that glow in the dark! They loved it!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, I find this truly brilliant and rather hilarious at the same time. You turned the dog's big chew "disaster" into a fun memory thing. :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Margo, I love your repair. And what a clever puppy, it was, only to chew where it was possible to mend the hole without it being too obvious. But I'm sure you would have come up with another brilliant idea then. I love to see the faces on people, when I show them the glowy thread in action.

living in Central Denmark
          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

And yet, another good reason to maintain a respectable STASH!!! :wink: Thanks for the great tutorial, Margo!!!

Comment

When I finish a quilt, I turn a "feed and caring" label into a "pocket". I baste down scraps from the quilt inside the pocket, so that, years later, whomever has the challenging task of making a repair will have matching scraps that have been washed as many times as the quilt has been washed. On the outside of the pocket, I have instructions re. laundering, with a prompt re. the scraps inside if ever needed. This second "label pocket" is in addition to the dedication/information label.

Comment

I keep a supply of pre-cut batik hearts and applique them over the small holes my quilts tend to suffer. There is always one that 'matches' and friends think they are deliberate.

Comment

All great ideas!

Comment

Love it! Life happens and memory treasures become more treasurable!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X