[vb_main_1]

A challenge for your sewing space (8)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A challenge for your sewing space (8)

After the forum discussion about magazines here: http://forum/books-magazines-pattern...ine-last-issue
    I would like to issue a challenge.

How many old magazines can you part with this week?? :shock:

I'm sure that like me, everyone who reads this will have several magazines, or PILES of magazines, that we haven't touched in a while. YEARS???

I challenge you to share them with a new quilter, or a guild, or a library or the trash man!!! Who can report the most parted with by next Sunday July 24???

DARE YA!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

You can dare as much as you want, Margo. I'm meeting friends at Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in mid-August, and I always hand over a stack of magazines to them. So, not a single magazine will leave this house before then.

I'm managing my magazine addiction quite well with the following rule: I have a fairly large section of a bookcase dedicated to magazines. If it's full and I want to add more, then some have to go. Works for me.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Brilliant plan Lorchen!! When I clear out a designated space, that's the plan I will try to adopt!

How many magazines will you be sharing with your friends in August???

Comment

It's a great idea Margo to get rid of all the old magazines and books that are no longer useful. Some of the techniques are way past their bedtime! I find nowadays that I use the internet more often as a means of finding what I want - it's so much quicker than wading through old magazines where you can never find the thing you thought was there anyway. I reckon I could get rid of about 10 magazines and maybe even a couple of books by 24th August. :> Now if I could just do that for the rest of my house and garden it would be happy days!

Comment

I have totally given up saving any magazines or professional journals. In fact, my challenge is to NOT print off articles from the internet.

Comment

Good challenge, Margo! A few months ago, I started a stack of magazines and books I'm going to donate to our local quilt show in October, so mine won't disappear until then. They're used in the silent auction. What I do is put everything I think I might be willing to part with in a stack, then review the stack a few months later to make sure I haven't changed my mind on some of them. My challenge in deciding which magazines to get rid of is how to keep the pieces I want. For example, there might be one article in a magazine that I want. If I just tear those pages out, then the magazine is no longer good for passing on to someone else. But copying the pages doesn't seem like a good idea environmentally, either. A dilemma, so I'm thinking of scanning those pages and making a PDF. That way if I don't ever use them, I won't have to print them. But, that's certainly more time-consuming, so I haven't managed to do that yet. :wink: Someday ...

Comment

Originally posted by maggieszafranski
              I have totally given up saving any magazines or professional journals. In fact, my challenge is to NOT print off articles from the internet.
              Right there with you. There isn't a magazine in the house and the few extra books I have are already set aside for a quilt show next spring, along with some tools and thread that I am not happy with. They won't be gone by Aug 24 but they would be gone today if I could drop them off today.

Comment

In the meantime, is anyone going to be able to clear out some magazines by JULY 24th???

Maggie and Agnes....you are an inspiration!!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                  In the meantime, is anyone going to be able to clear out some magazines by JULY 24th???

Maggie and Agnes....you are an inspiration!!
                  I will, I will, in fact this past weekend I had a mission to rearrange my studio and organize it. Along with magazines, I plan to donate some books that I thought i would use, but didn't. they will all go to the library. my magazines have diminished simply due to not renewing subscriptions so my numbers won't be too huge in the donation pile. But i will give you a number at the end of the week.

Comment

Okay, I'm slow....does that mean you do not buy or peruse magazines....how do you get your patterns or inspirations for your projects?

Comment

Margo, does it count if I put about 30 magazines into a box, take them out of the house and put the box in the garage till mid-August. I could to that at the weekend.
                      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                        Margo, does it count if I put about 30 magazines into a box, take them out of the house and put the box in the garage till mid-August. I could to that at the weekend.
                        ABSOLUTELY! Show us a picture of the hole you've cleared, or the pile you've made!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonnaV
                          Okay, I'm slow....does that mean you do not buy or peruse magazines....how do you get your patterns or inspirations for your projects?
                          Donna, there are thousands of free pattern designs on the Internet and enough inspiration to keep us all busy for a lifetime!

Here's just one source: http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oooooh! That's a great blogspot. I wonder are the magazines we get here in Europe (Ireland to be precise) the same as the ones you have in America? Maybe we could do a magazine exchange! No, I am only joking.

Comment

A great site for free patterns for using up your scraps is Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville:

http://quiltville.com/

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 351 users online. 0 members and 351 guests.

Most users ever online was 353 at 04:12 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X