[vb_main_1]

Fabric Printing - Large Scale

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric Printing - Large Scale

Has anyone printed their own yardage? I have photos of my daughters that I want to have printed large scale - at least 36" or up to 45". I have see this on the design shows. . . has anyone else? have you had your own fabric printed? Would love contacts or experience

thanks Wendy

Hi Wendy I printed a picture of my grandaughter on EQ printable fabric sheets I was able to devide the picture into 9 sections and print one at a time, then sewed them together and now I am trying to quilt it. Being a beginner free motion quilter it is taking a long time, but it is a beautiful picture. Joan

Comment

thanks Joan! I have used the printable fabric sheets for smaller photos - I may need to do that if I can't get a larger print.
      thanks Wendy

Comment

Wendy, you might get some tips for printing on fabric in the TQS CLASSROOM videos by Jeanie:

learn/classrooms/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

You need the printer that Ricky bought the one that cost the same as a car. Maybe he will print for you. ha ha

Comment

Wendy, I know that there are places that custom print fabric in small batches. I watched Project Runway one year and they printed some yardage for each contestant one week. I also think I've seen something at quilt shows, I wasn't interested at the time so didn't pay attention but I know it can be done. Probably expensive, but certainly less than buying Ricky's 36 inch wide printer :shock: .

Google will no doubt bring up lots of hits. Let us know what you find out!

Kathy

Comment

I saw the same thing on Project RunWay! I just found the website "Fabric on Demand" they say they will print anything and no minimum. I will give it a try and see how it works. Thanks (and love your quilt

Comment

That's fantastic that they will print with no minimum yardage. Hey, who knew that watching Project Runway would come in handy one day?

Thanks for the compliment on my quilt- that's the 2009 BOM, which I took to Ricky's retreat last July for show and tell. He snapped the picture and put it in my profile for me, God bless him!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by grandedesign
                  I saw the same thing on Project RunWay! I just found the website "Fabric on Demand" they say they will print anything and no minimum. I will give it a try and see how it works. Thanks (and love your quilt
                  OH MY WORD!

I could drop some serious money on that site! Not only that, but I could see some serious applications for designs such as the Plimouth Jacket could be printed for embroiderers to make their own - If the V&A would permit the printing of their designs, I will have to try and contact the textiles curator there and see what they think?

Comment

I have done larger photos by dividing and printing on the EQ inkjet sheets. I followed Jeanie's advice here as well as a tutorial on her website for dividing photos for multiple pages. I buy my EQ sheets off of Amazon... much cheaper.
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                    Tired. 
                    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

My daughter has had a number of different fabrics custom-printed on Spoonflower.com -- they came out great!
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                      Tired. 
                      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                      Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I printed a photo of my granddaughter tiled on nine pages. Now I am trying to free motion quilt it but I am afraid of ruining it when I quilt on the face. I purchased ten shades of flesh coloured thread when I muster the courage to quilt. The background I have started stipple quilting on the blue that is not so scarry. All advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

Joan, your granddaughter is cute! You might want to use Quilter's Preview Paper http://www.quilterstouch.com/previewpaper/
                          or a piece of plexiglass (hardware store) with a dry erase marker to divide up the different areas of her face before you start stitching it.
                          You can also try out different angles for stitching that will work for each area.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

joan, she's beautiful - well done - look forward to see the quilted result

Comment

How about printing up another copy (or 2) in a smaller scale to practise on so you can see how the lines of stitching flow on the face. Also consider how the hairs grow on the face (go on admit it - we all have them :wink: ) and use them as as a starting point for your stitching lines.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X