[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Challenge for Margo!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How adorable...you done good Margo....I know the Grands will love it!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

Love your little quilt, Margo. You are a woman of many talents!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

Wow, Margo, I think your box just got a lot bigger! The quilt is beautiful. A lot of innovative techniques came together very cohesively. You must be a "trained professional"

If Lorchen misses on throwing the transatlantic Oscar to you I'll be sure to throw it back your way! Well deserved kudos to you
        Kathy

Comment

Margo, what a great little quilt, you sure went out of your box on this one. Congratulations.

Margarita in still rainy Auburn, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
            Yo, Lorchen!! How's this???

Our son recently got a promotion in his job which requires the family to move. The grandchildren are NOT happy about it and it doesn't help that their other grandmother is pitching a fit! I used your challenge to kill two birds with one stone, and made a wall hanging for them!

Hmmmmm...a technique I've never done? Honey, I made my first quilt in 1963! There isn't a lot that I haven't tried!! But here goes....

I am a very traditional quilter. I like straight lines, and pre-planned projects, and my favorite color is neutral!! LOL!! BTW...My husband's favorite color is bright shiny objects!! He also says that "quilts should not rattle" so I have never used embellishments! For this project I wanted to work out of my stash, and was able to find some bright fabrics to put together and I hope that TheGrands will like it. They also love embellishments, so I slathered 'em on! This project measures 23" x 27".

I actually started with no plan at all, but just pieced together fabrics for the flowers and leaves. That's as far as I got without a plan! LOL!!
            I decided on the text then got an idea of the size I needed to make the flowers. It was all intuitive from there. Very freeing!

Here are the new techniques I used:
            **Tom Russell's technique of piecing little bits of fabric together to create fabric for the funky appliquéd flowers and leaves.
            http://tomrussellquilts.wordpress.com/

**Rick-Rack trim around a couple of flowers and for one stem.

**Couching cotton yarn for stems.
            learn/bernina/

**Ricky Tim's double blanket stitch on fused applique shapes
            learn/bernina/

**Wonky free-form edge for the border (way out of my comfort zone, but it was FUN!)

**Janet Stone's suggestion for free motion embroidery for the text since my embroidery machine no longer functions.
            community/my-profile/janetstone

**Free motion couching for the leafy vine in the border. I actually purchased a new presser foot just to try this, and I love it!! I'll be doing more of this for sure!
            learn/bernina/

**88 buttons, including some that are double and triple stacked

So...Lorchen....does that fulfill my end of the challenge??? Thanks for pushing me out of my comfort zone!
            And yes!! This quilt RATTLES!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
            You can see more photos on my WebShots album: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...79922644CMPVuX
            Nice job Margo. I love that quote and your quilt is beautiful!! So appropriate for the move.

Comment

Wow, Margo, you did a wonderful job in this little quilt and you had so much fun doing it. Isn't that what's it all about?
              Thank you, Lorchen, for creating this.

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I just read through this thread-you all are having way too much fun!!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                  I just read through this thread-you all are having way too much fun!!
                  No such thing as too much fun. Sure beats tidying up our sewing rooms :lol:

I've got to go back to the top of the challange list and start again :roll:

Rosemary

PS. Great quilt Margo!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 316 users online. 0 members and 316 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X