[vb_main_1]

A challenge for your sewing space (7)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A challenge for your sewing space (7)

This week's do-able challenge has a several options. We all have UFOs (unfinished objects), WIPs (work in progress), PIGS (projects in grocery sacks), etc....

This week's challenge is to deal with ONE of them. Just one! You can either go ahead and finish it, or declare that it has already taught you the intended lesson.
    If you decide that are "over it", take everything that you intended to use for that project and integrate it back into your stash. Empty the box or bag or tote!

Personally, I keep UFOs in labeled containers, but right now about half of those containers are left-overs from completed projects that I just never have dealt with. It's time!

OR....read this week's newsletter! Would someone else put the elements of your project to better use than just taking up space in your sewing area?
    Do you have fabrics that no longer excite you? Do you wonder "what was I thinkin'????"

Donate it to Iraqui Bundles of Love: http://daily-blog/107-just-for-fun/1...e-can-you-help

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

As you must have already gathered you'll have a hard time coming up with a challenge for me. I would like to share a few ideas of how I deal with keeping my bins current.
    1. It started with resolving to clear the bin when the project was finished. Because I rarely, almost never, follow a pattern without making very major changes, if I indeed started with a pattern rather than an idea, I would have various strips, partial blocks, etc as well as yardage leftover. From the smaller pieces I often made a companion cushion, wall hanging or runner. Following this I do as Margo suggests. These items have come in handy for gifts. I store these items in larger bins in a storage closet.
    2. I have a small box at my cutting table with a few plastic bags into which I sort the fabrics that no longer turn me on. I have a thrift shop just down the street that has a quilting room in their central warehouse where they deal with these goodies. Every spring they have a quilt show with raffles and sale of donated articles and articles using the donated fabrics. Funds go to a mission project. They also, through their churches, make quilts for local and oversea causes. I have even donated tops to them that I did not want to quilt. This continuous collection helps me from having bins that need to be emptied.
    3. Not as much now that I use Warm and Natural batting, as when I used poly batting, I would sew up "ugly" fabric into cushion forms and have one ready to stuff at my cutting table with the batting trimmings. When full, I had a "free" cushion ready for the cover from #1.

Idea for a new challenge: Dealing with batting storage.

Comment

Great ideas Agnes! Thanks!

Comment

Oh, you two organized people, how wonderful to hear what you do. This weeks challenge is very easy for me as I have no UFO's, I have two quilts that I'm working on alternately and one project in a box waiting for me to get enough time to finish it.
        I'm not telling you where my mess is. And I'm waiting patiently to see, what you come up with next week. Have a nice weekend.

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
          I'm waiting patiently to see, what you come up with next week. Have a nice weekend.
          Golly! I didn't know this was going to turn into a "Hide and Seek" exercise for me!! :lol:

Comment

A quilter with no UFOs!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: I didn't know such a person existed. What is your secret Norma

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Mmmmhhh...... maybe all of Norma's UFO's have emigrated and joined mine. That would be one explanation why mine seem to be breeding faster than a healthy family of rabbits.

My UFOs all everywhere and I love them all! They all get a little attention when I feel like it, and they will get finished eventually. So, actually, I do not have any UFOs either, mine are WIPs, or WISPs (Work Un Slow Progress).

Part of my curtain/design wall is getting overcrowded and I have promised myself to finish one large item. My argument is: If I work on it now, there is a chance that it'll be done by next Christmas.

But first I must do my HSTs.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

For once, I'm on it! I'm quilting a BOM from 2010! Here is a sneak peak of the outside border.

Comment

WHOO-HOO!! It looks great Terry!

Comment

At last! A challenge I can fulfill. I sometimes do have UFOs but not right now. Now I have three quilts that I consider WIP rather than UFOs.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                      At last! A challenge I can fulfill. I sometimes do have UFOs but not right now. Now I have three quilts that I consider WIP rather than UFOs.
                      For me the difference between the two is just a perception of time. All of my WIPs could be UFOs or vice versa. As long as anything is not finished it is still a work in progress.That is, until it hits the Thrift Shop box. Then it is no longer mine. It just hasn't left the building. I sometimes forget to tell the truth of how long it has sat derailed. In fact I actually refer to a lot of my projects as having been derailed by perhaps the cross stitch and now more recently by my knitting. The only needle I've had in my hands in the past few days have been the knitting needles.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Nothing wrong with that, Agnes. I can't say if you are in the same category, but I could be described as a 'Craft Tart' I guess. I go back and forth between quilting (too large to be described as a 'butterfly' ), various types of needlework, crochet, simple knitting and some paper crafts. If I take a break from embroidery for a few months, for example, I come back to it refreshed and eager to go. Sometimes you need a break to recharge your batteries.

Comment

These weeks seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Guess I just reach into the "bag" and see what I pull out. The first one I see I will make a decision on what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
                            Oh, you two organized people, how wonderful to hear what you do. This weeks challenge is very easy for me as I have no UFO's, I have two quilts that I'm working on alternately and one project in a box waiting for me to get enough time to finish it.
                            I'm not telling you where my mess is. And I'm waiting patiently to see, what you come up with next week. Have a nice weekend.
                            Margo managed to find my mess without the help of pictures, so it probably won't be long before she finds yours.

Comment

Personally, I have decided that I don't have WIP's, or UFO's I've moved on to the far more erudite Phd's - Projects, half done 8)

But honestly I need to go back to challange number one first, since the Sottts hit my table it is almost worse than before :lol:

After that, my writing must be done. After that I need to baste up my 'Too Loud Man/Dog Rose I' quilt which is definately a WISP :wink: .

Rosemary

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 315 users online. 0 members and 315 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X