[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

A challenge for your sewing space (2)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto to Lorchan and Dorothy, I also don't have space to the right of my machine, and it is now tidied.

Now I just have to try and finish the first challange, I've got ever-so-very-slightly distracted by the SoTTT's. I don't know, you turn you back for a minute and there are another 6 pages to read over there :wink:

Rosemary

Comment

I haven't started Challenge 1, but think today is the day....then Challenge 2 will follow....it feels like the right thing to do so I can get busy with my line up of projects just begging for a start date!!! I am off to my Material world shortly to begin the much needed clean up...photos to follow soon.

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

It has been a very busy day for me...and I got challenge 1 and 2 completed. I cleaned up my tables...cleared them off, but had to leave the kitty's quilt where it usually lives....GiGi would be sad if I moved her bed while she was away visiting my DH. She comes home this weekend.
        Then I cleaned up what has been living to the right of my machine. I put most things in the roll around stand that sits right by me. However that is getting full up so I need to do something else with my threads....they are over flowing.
        Then in the second photo I have all my recent purchases from the Road2California show....filled that table right up, but they have all since been put away and the table is cleared for my projects to begin tomorrow. Margo....which challenge will address our over flowing stash messes? I really need to get that done too!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

You are off to a great start, Karen! I'll post another do-able challenge tomorrow!!

One step at a time! We can take control of our material worlds! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

It being a snow day here in Nova Scotia meaning there is no school gives me a chance to dump everything out of the basket by my machine and sort all the stuff I have let pile therein...I even noticed baby bunnies in it!! I will also only keep one pin cushion to the right of machine and will "demote" the other to cutting table.
            Jeanine in Nova Scotia

Comment

Karen, you sure got yourself some nice fabrics. I am glad you had a great time at R2C. that is one of the shows I have never been too.
              Margarita in Auburn, CA

Comment

WARNING! WARNING! Do not, under any circumstances, try to spray 409 (or your favorite spray cleaner) in one little challenge area! IT WILL NOT WORK!
                It will just let you see how desperately the rest of the surrounding surfaces (and door fronts, and drawer fronts and TV and machine cabinet,etc, etc) need to be cleaned!
                Trust me on this!! :roll:

I did manage to get the area to the right of my machine straightened and cleaned!

Comment

While I'm at it, I will share some storage tips with you.

I use golf tees to keep wound bobbins with the proper spool of thread. They can drop down the center hole, or lay across the top of a larger cone of thread.

The large thread cones make a really handy place to keep a small pair of scissors within easy reach on the right side of your sewing machine in that newly cleaned space!
                  If you don't use the large cones, you might ask a long-arm quilter to save one for you. And I use Hugo's Amazing Tape to keep unruly threads on the cone or spool:
                  http://www.amazingtape.com/

If you have one of those little storage cabinets for your presser feet, you will be less likely to misplace one if you put it back in the cabinet when you are done with it.
                  If you don't have one of those, I like to use an inexpensive plastic storage box from a craft store for presser feet, and there is room to keep the instructions for each foot right in the same little section.

Come back tomorrow for the next do-able challenge!

Comment

Whew, Margo! I thought the next challenge was early when I saw those cleaning cloths. Sure hope that isn't giving you some ideas for the next challenge I guess though that cleaning as we go would be a good idea, right?
                    Fi

Comment

I just bought some of that vinyl that covers your table cloths and cut it in strips and that is what I use to keep my thread in place when it doesn't have a cap like Superior thread has.

Comment

Margo, I loved your tip about an inexpensive partitioned box for presser feet. I have one and I find it much handier than hanging them in the Bernina box they came in. I have another use for those plastic boxes with all the compartments. I keep my machine needles in one, sorted by type and size. The compartments are just the right size for holding the needle boxes. I have a large decorative button and when I put a needle in my machine, I place the button in the compartment that contains that size needle. That way, I can always tell what kind of needle I am using.
                        Robin

Comment

BRILLIANT ROBIN!! Another tip for remembering what needle size....for years I have made a note on blue painter's tape when I put in a new needle and taped it to the top of my machine. I can tell at a glance what size is in the machine in case I need to change it to sew with a different weight thread. I also keep a "tomato" pin cushion handy to sort out used needles according to size. I know they aren't new, but can probably be used for some more stitches.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X