[vb_main_1]

like and dislike colors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

like and dislike colors

during the last 4 years i quilt, i felt that i need to thank people for the help they provide me when i needed it, so i asked each one of them and for their children what are the colors that they like and for the children the animals that they like - on this information i did quillows to each one of them - what i discovered at the end of this process that i am much tolerant and free about colors! colors that i didnt like before i like now, actually i dont have favorite color i love most of the colors there is and i can combine some 'untraditional' colors and find a great combinations that i didnt even think to try before! - recomended

For a long time there was almost no green in my quilting fabric. Then I decided to make a quilt for our daughter-in-law, and she wanted one that was done in shades of green! Like Becky, I discovered through the process that green is not a bad color, and it is also a very necessary color. I have even started using a lot more lime green in things. That and the more I get into applique, the more green and variations of green, I need to have. Currently I am working on a project using 30s reproduction fabrics. They have never been a favorite either, but they are growing on me. We all need to push our boundaries at times.

Comment

If someone asks, I will tell them that blue is my favorite color and purple is my least favorite color. I rarely wear black or gray, because those colors just doesn't look good on me. However, today and to my surprise, I found and bought the most beautiful gray fabrics that I'll use as the basis for a quilt. Also, since becoming a quilter, purple has started to grow on me.

Truthfully, I appreciate all colors but not necessarily all color combinations. If you look at the TQS BOM quilts, you'll see that they can look beautiful in many different colors, but some color combinations just feel more comfortable than others.

I've noticed that I can look at a quilt and often tell which of my quilter friends made it, because they have developed a particular style or frequently use certain color combinations. So far, I don't see a common thread or style in my quilts. I guess that I have yet to find my style.

When you see a quilt that you love, is it more often the pattern or the colors that first catch your eye?

Comment

I think color attracts my attention first then pattern. My favorite color is blue but I can't wear most blues. I look ill when I wear blue but put me in red and no matter how I feel--I look healthy.

Comment

I'm a huge green fan, lime green! And bright colors.And orange! In my stash though I find I have a ton of other greens that I am just not inspired to use. I think that comes from a queen size green and black quilt I made that I really never liked and still don't. It's just blah, no punch to it at all, and now I look at the greens and think blah! I also have alot of blue quilting cotton which surprises me because I don't ever wear blue, and am not that drawn to it. Since I started out with sewing clothes for grandchildren, I ended up with lots of pinks and purples but I use these for charity baby quilts.

Comment

I have very little or pink white in my stash, but lots of everything else, with a heavy emphasis on golds, oranges, greens (that whole autumn palette).

And I can understand Laura's fascination with lime green. It's such a happy colour. One of my rooms has lime green walls, and I still love it, four years after they were painted.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

When I was a child I loved pink (doesn't every kid? - well now girls first choice is purple!!! OK I am old!!!!). For many years my favorite colors were blue and apricot. I designed a number of rooms in my house in those colors. Then I started quilting. My first 'real" quilt was a blue quilt with some pink and purple accents. Then I made quilts that matched the recipients color choices. Then I started on art quilts etc. for me. I began with blue and purples, then moved to greens, then I moved into the orange/brown range. Now I use what ever color matches my inspiration. I have moved to the pure colors and love hand dyed and batik fabrics. Who knows where I go next. I am only 70 yrs. old, I figure I have a good 20 years to change my fabric colors. But in the mean time I will keep on going. Hugs, Ann

Comment

When asked what color I like, I always say "The one I'm looking at now." I really don't have a favorit color and can usually tolerate all colors, even in quilting. I don't think there is a "bad" color -- just those we don't care for. I think being a quilter helps us to get rid of our prejudices, not just about color, but many things, especially if we are members of groups like this one, or a guild. (WOW! What a run-on sentence!! ops: , sorry!) Anyway, even khaki can be incorporated into a quilt if you have to. OOPS, a mild dislike showing
                Quiltingly yours,
                From the beautiful
                Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
                myraung@yahoo.com

Comment

I love brights... blues and greens in all shades my favorite... Brown is the hardest for me to use... excpect in landscape and pictorial quilt projects... then it is a must. There are some shade of brown I do enjoy ie cocoa and chocolate...

Like others have said it depends on the project and what it requires. I do find I dislike muddy colors and fabric in muddy or greyed tones... they depress me. The brighter the truer the colors... the more white / bright in it the happier I am.

Lady Rags.

Quiltingly yours,
                  From the beautiful
                  Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
                  myraung@yahoo.com

Comment

I have to admit that before i came on board the "TQS journey" i had set ideas on the colours i liked and disliked, but with for example the BOM's when you see the many different colour combinations wow wow wow, also after watching all the dvd's and seeing soooooo many wonderful examples of quilts in many different styles that has also helped me to have a broader colour style.

It's Interesting to note the little things you learn on TQS isnt it, until I read this post I had not thought about this at all, and then I started to think on it and realised my ideas had changed and how.

Wishing you all many wonderful learning days ahead with TQS..........

Taree NSW - Australia
                    My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

The older I get the more I like intense colors and contrast. A quilt done all in neutrals just doesn't grab me. I've seen some beautiful ones tho.

Taree NSW - Australia
                      My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I like any blue, and intensely dislike orange. Then my niece asked for a baby quilt in blue and orange. Now I tolerate orange. It has a way of demanding to be in a quilt, and not going away until you give in! Kind of like a teenager. Yellow is grown up, if you say no it goes away. I find myself running out of orange and yellow because I never buy it on impulse, like blue, green and purple.

Comment

As I have posted on another topic, olive has always been my least favorite color. But, being "forced" to use it in a number of projects, I realize it has it's merits! It is a color that can really give some punch to colors that you put with it! Side bar - I once knew that the main judge for a local quilt show loved blue. I entered a monochromatic blue quilt. It won Best in Catagory! :-) Dawn

Comment

I find this a really interesting discussion. I like earthy tones--browns, deep reddish purples, greens of all descriptions, and almost any blue-greens and bright wonderful reds especially against black backgrounds. I don't like yellow much. My DIL on the other hand likes beautiful clear blues, yellows, reds and whites. I think yellow is her favorite color. We get along really well, but I think we both have a set of colors we like better and these sets are almost opposite each other's choices. Still, we share our fabrics sometimes and I love her quilts and I think she likes mine too. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 153 users online. 0 members and 153 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X