[vb_main_1]

Quilting a String Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting a String Quilt

My string quilt blocks are foundation pieced on muslin and there's about 12 strings per 6" block. The foundation makes the top heavier and all the seams make it bulker. There's a 1 1/2" inner and 5" outer border.

I'd sure love some suggestions on the best way to quilt it. Would stitch in the ditch be the best solution for the strings and add a decorative design on the border? Would all the bulk and seam intersections make it difficult to do a quilt design on the strings? I'm afraid my BSR would create alot of skipped stitches.

Also, I have some lightweight, thin wool batting. Would that be a good choice? Should it be washed first?

Thanks for the advice!
    Shirley

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Bernina 440QE

I free-motioned quilted gigantic feathers all over the one I did. I used a lightweight cotton batting. This is a view from the back

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46414451TMPLrx

and this is from the front

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...46414451TrAyxO

Keeping the feathers large and loose didn't add much extra weight to the quilt.

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Bernina 440QE

Comment

I have done several of these quilts...

First one was done simple quilting down the middle of the stings on the diagonal.

I have recently started doing FUN AND DONE style quilt as you go style of quilting.

I cut the backing about an inch larger than the blocks with the batting under the block. Frequently the batting is cut about 1/2 inch smaller, to reduce bulk. I quilt each block individually.

Then I sew the two blocks together backing side together using a zipper foot to get as close the the blocks as I can and I sew them together. I then sew down the turned other edges of the block to make it own sashing. Sounds harder than it is to actually do. I am not good at writing instructions.

Our sewing group makes charity quilts and this is a good way to get everyone helping out.... Made our group more productive.

Shreveport, Louisiana
      Bernina 440QE

Comment

I've done several of these, they quilt up just like any other quilt, no problems at all, and I used flannel backing on mine.

Here's the last one I did:

Created by CJ

Shreveport, Louisiana
        Bernina 440QE

Comment

So let me ask a dumb question. A string quilt is actually strip pieces of varying sized sewn together diagonally to create a block? At least that is what it looks like from all the pictures. Bobbi

Shreveport, Louisiana
          Bernina 440QE

Comment

I have good results with used dryer sheets as my foundations. They are lighter than muslin so make for less bulk.

As the used dryer sheets need to be pressed before stitching, they can sometimes stretch, so I plan to trim to a set size after the strips are attached. The brand I'm currently using trims to about 9" x 5". I've also had good luck piecing over-size diamond shapes and then trimming to size.

To answer an earlier question: Yes, it is just strips of fabric sewn to a foundation of some type. (I've also used paper, but then you must get ride of the paper.) For those of us who are compulsive scrap savers, this is a good way to use scraps.

Comment

Love your string quilts Carole and CJ! Since we just got new phone books and always have a good stash of scraps, I'll have to try this method. I don't know about me doing the free motion feathers. I'd need a lot more practice--the BSR doesn't solve all problems.

Comment

If your string quilt is quite multicolored, as most of them are, it makes a good practice piece for free-motion quilting. Your mistakes don't show up nearly as badly as on solids. (Ask me how I know! :lol: )

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I shouldn't be concerned about quilting over all those seams. I'll do whatever I feel the quilt calls me to do without over thinking....which I'm famous for!!!

BTW, I agree that a lighter weight foundation or paper foundation is the best way to go for my next string project. Every quilting experience offers a new lesson to learn from for the next one.

Shirley

Shreveport, Louisiana
                  Bernina 440QE

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention (lost an hour of sleep last night and brain's not in gear yet!) CJ and Carole I love your quilts. CJ that's a good pic of your quilting and it really helps.

I'm curious about the flannel backing. What color did you choose and more importantly......did you prewash and use batting? I kinda like that idea.

Shirley

Shreveport, Louisiana
                    Bernina 440QE

Comment

whitewitchcrafts

STING QUILTS were the utility quilts of the 1800s. Left over fabric sewn kinda crazy quilt sew and flip on a think fabric or paper ( mostly left inside the quilt to disintergrate with washing.

The patterns used for the strings are eclectic... every quilter seems to have their own. Different regions seem to favor different patterns.

String Diamonds.... strings sewn on a square going in different directions... from diagonal to the center... then a standard color across the diagonal across the and the rest of the string sewn across the diagnonal. When you sew 4 blocks together you get a diamond formed as a secondary pattern.

http://<br /> <a href="http://www.a...5to06.html</a>

Roman Stripes .... AN Amish pattern was also used....Made similar but with a solid block .... Strings from a corner inward with a solid triangle on the other half of the square.

In a true Amish Roman Stripe all the strings are the same size. In the string version all the strings are made from your stash of strings and are whatever color size you have.

http://www.quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ng_piecing.htm

http://home.pmt.org/~awalter/stringgallery.html

http://www.filminthefridge.com/2009/...-pieced-method

The name of the patterns as shown on this web site I have heard called MILE A MINUTE and Gibblets and Gravy... in different parts of the country. You stat with and odd shape peice on your center and sew strings around it til you get the size fabric you need to make a square.

http://www.angelfire.com/art3/elaine...tProjects.html

Gwen Marston wrote to academic tomes on the subject that is really good book on reference... she shows a lot of examples and expain the various techniques used. Look for LIBIRATED STRINGS and LIBIRATED STRINGS 2.

Now that I have made everything as clear as mud ... have fun quilting.

Shreveport, Louisiana
                      Bernina 440QE

Comment

Thanks for the interesting history lesson ladyrags. I actually got the idea from Bonnie's Quiltville website. The picture looks similar to mine except I made the 3 center blocks (four squares to a block) in shades of yellow which makes the center pop. The rest are mixed colors with a muslin strip across the center of each block. This makes a secondary design that I like alot. The triangle blocks against the edge are done in black.

If someone could kindly tell me how to insert a picture in my post, I'll post a pic of the quilt top.

Thanks,
                        Shirley

Shreveport, Louisiana
                        Bernina 440QE

Comment

I am also finding these answers very interesting and can I give my thanks to you all also.

CJ is your quilt home machine quilted or longarm

Jill Australia

Taree NSW - Australia
                          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

CJ that is the prettiest string quilt I have ever seen! I love your quilting design!

Taree NSW - Australia
                            My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Thanks for the answers and all the information. Bobbi

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 135 users online. 0 members and 135 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X