[vb_main_1]

scalloped edge rotary blade

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

scalloped edge rotary blade

i have fallen in love with my scalloped edge rotary blade. i read a tip somewhere that using it to trim the edges of fabric before you pre-wash will cut down on fraying in the washer. i tried it and really liked the results. when i got ready to cut my fabrics for a small project the blade was already in the handle and i decided to give it a try again. i loved how the raw edges all stayed so neat and free of hanging threads as i worked through the project. i'm a stickler for precise measuring and cutting so it surprised me that the wavy edge didn't make lining up edges trickier. actually, i felt like it was actually more precise. my pieces don't unravel as i work with them and everthing seems to stay so much neater. i use the scalloped edge blades almost exclusively now. ( i am using the blade which produces a rounded off version of a "pinked" edge. short, shallow waves)

wow, thanks for that tip. I have one of those rotary cutters, but hadn't thought about using it for cutting out background square for my applique. I'm going to try this! Thank you! Robin

Comment

I read, or saw somewhere, that it's best to use these blades on the back side, or a not best, cutting mat as they can chew up the surface faster. Is that correct?

Comment

@amoret - i have cut all of my pieces for 3 bed sized quilts (mostly 1 1/2 inch squares and fairly short 1 1/2 inch strips) plus edged quite a bit of fabric for prewashing and also finished a couple of little projects all using the scalloped edge and i haven't noticed any unusual wear on my green olfa mat. i hadn't heard that before, though, so i'll start to really watch for that.

Comment

Amanda, you are right, the scalloped edges can increase the chance of gouging your cutting mat. Although, I have done small jobs on the top side without problems. But Laura Wasilowski recommends using the back side of the mat.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Wonder if the damage -- or lack thereof -- has to do with how sharp the blade is or how much pressure you're putting on the blade? :?

Comment

I guess also that if you dont keep it perfectly upright the angle of the wiggles (for want of a better word!) will chew rather than cut a clean, healable line.

Comment

I have used the wavey blade alot for fleece projects too. Makes a really cute edge since with fleece there's no need to hem.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 108 users online. 0 members and 108 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X