[vb_main_1]

Using Kaleidoscope Kreator

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Kaleidoscope Kreator

Help!!!!! I just downloaded the trial version of Kaleidoscope Kreator to play with. What an amazing program. I've read that this program can be used to make quilts. How do you do that? Do you print the design and then build a block by adding material to match what the print is showing? I have no idea and need any and all help.

You are in for some great fun. The Kaleidoscope Kreator program is awesome. If you check my profile, the last quilt at the very bottom is made with KK. I printed the full kaleidoscope on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of Bubble Jet Set prepared fabric. KK will also print wedges much like a Dresden Plate block. I use the background textures and the eyedroper to create backgrounds aroung the kaleidoscopes. I found if you move the shape completely off the picture you can then print plain fabric to go with your kaleidoscope. Have fun and please share with us what you do. Betty Ann in cool Florida

Comment

Betty Ann, thank you for the info. I'm still deciding if I want to buy the program, so am just playing around with it at the moment. Bobbi

Comment

Bobbi,

I have the program, but haven't used it for making any quilts yet. I have a lot of ideas, just no time to work on them.

One idea, is to take one picture, and create different kaleidoscopes from that picture, then print them out on fabric to use as different blocks for your quilt. It is amazing how different the kaleidoscopes look just by moving or rotating the picture a little bit.

Or take different pictures, and use either the same or different kaleidoscopes to create the blocks for your quilt. The possibilities are only as limited as your imagination.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

Dianne, you are so right. I was playing around with the demo software (I have not purchased the software yet) and having a blast. What type of printer does one need to print on cloth? Currently I only have a color laser printer.

Has anyone used this software to do paper piecing?

Comment

I bought this software at the Quilt Festival in Houston and LOVE it! I am the same way - a ton of ideas, and many UFO's in standing in the way of me starting another project, so I have not used the software yet for a quilt! :wink:

I own an HP printer that I use for printing on fabric. I am not real pleased with it, as the fabric seems to jam quite a bit and the color could be better. It is a printer that is designed primarily for printing photos. I have been doing some research and am thinking about moving to an Epson printer that is an ink jet...... I don't know enough to be an expert but am hearing that that technology might better for printing on fabric.

I do use the printer quite a bit for printing labels for my quilts.... and hope to use it one of these days for a kaleidoscope project!

Comment

Before you jump from HP to another brand of printer, check out what the company that makes Bubble Jet Set -- the Milliken company -- says about the advantages and disadvantages of the various brands of printers when used for printing on fabric.

See http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/category_s/21.htm

Also, note that Milliken sells a product specifically made for Hewlett Packard printers and their inks -- HP Bubble Jet Set.

BethMI

Comment

Thought I would pop in and let you know my thoughts on an Epson printer. I have an R1800 wide format printer and it produces beautifully and I use it for my business mostly. I also have a Canon printer which is my workhorse doing day-to-day work and it prints great on fabric. I love my Canon and the customer service should you need help is second to none in my opinion.

Back to my Epson. It's in the shop right now because the nozzles are clogged beyond my repair and it needs a new ink pad, which unfornately Epson didn't feel like that is something that its customers should be able to replace. I'm out my printer now for two weeks and have orders waiting. I have a love/hate relationship with this printer. When it prints, it rules the road. When it decides to clog (which is does far too frequently), I can lose days of work because of it.

I'm actually in the process of researching a different printer so I can decide whether to continue to work with my Epson or give in and go with a different manufacturer.

P.S. If I print every day, the Epson does great. It's when I go for a few days that the print heads get clogged.

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I've been using wide format Epson printers for years and was mostly satisfied with them, but do need to clean the print heads often. Then last month we purchased a Canon Pro9000 Mark II and the color prints from this printer are amazing! They are noticeably clearer than those from the Epson. I haven't tried printing on fabric yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                    I've been using wide format Epson printers for years and was mostly satisfied with them, but do need to clean the print heads often. Then last month we purchased a Canon Pro9000 Mark II and the color prints from this printer are amazing! They are noticeably clearer than those from the Epson. I haven't tried printing on fabric yet.
                    Hmm...thanks for the info about the Pro9000. I am not familar with it but will do some researching.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

We have a Lexmark (printer-scanner-copier). I've been using it for about two years for general printing and for printing on fabric. I've had no problems and the fabric comes out great. The ink is a little pricey but not as expensive as some. The software included a "studio" program that I use alot. Very satisfied with it. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was very reasonable.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

Wow, what great information. Thank you for the link to the ink jet printer comparison site - very informative. We've had ink jet printers in the past and always had clogging problems due to minimual use. Learning more about the new technology is very helpful in determining what type I would buy. I have a lot of information to digest before making any decision. Bobbi

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

Oops! I just realized that HP Bubble Jet Set is NOT sold by Milliken (which makes Printed Treasure fabric sheets), but by C Jenkins Company.

I use Printed Treasures when I want my label to have a white background, but the Bubble Jet Set product when I want to use my own, colored fabric.

BethMI

Comment

If you like KK, you might want to watch Jeanie's printing on fabric classes in the TQS Classroom. They're just starting up.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 84 users online. 0 members and 84 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X