No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Anyone made a quilt out of a wedding dress?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone made a quilt out of a wedding dress?

I hope this is not unusual, but I am looking for ideas on how to take a wedding dress and use some or all of it for a quilt/coverlet. It's a bit intimidating as it is my sister's dress, but it is something she has asked me to think about for the last few years..... I'd love to see any ideas/pictures if anyone has ever done something like this!

rr

There's a small wallhanging under my profile called Remembrance 20th Anniversary. It's a feathered star block I made from a piece of my bridesmaids dress at my friend's wedding. I will say that needle-turning the polyester/cotton/whatever it was was no fun, it shreds and is slippery. So if I were you I'd look for a pieced pattern, keep the applique to a minimum!

Kathy B.

P.S. -- Think about a stabilizer on the back of your fabric if it's slippery or flimsy. Also think about washing or dry cleaning the dress before working with it -- I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mystery stain or two on the skirt! Might also be fun to embellish with any beading available -- that brings up another thought -- large fused flowers with beading in the center? Let us know how your project goes!

Comment

RR,
      I am glad that Kathy posted a suggestion for you!! The only thing I can think of is if you make it into a crazy quilt like the ones that Judith B. Montano makes on Episode 201 and 507!! Have fun, it sounds like something that will truly be treasured by your sister!!

Comment

Not sure if you ever did your project or not but I just found your original post now.

I read in an OLD quilt magazine about someone making a quilt from their dress. Ideas like using some of the embroidery or lace for a medallion, come to my mind now.

I had a very plain dress that my aunt made for our wedding. I like the fabric but there isn't much lace and no embroidery. My daughter didn't fit it in 8th grade! :lol: Plus she is now a fashion designer (09 grad of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago) and whenever she marries will design her own gown. So... I plan on making a quilt from my dress. I will probably do some machine embroidery on blocks with a cream on cream color scheme. I have already purchased some cream satin to go with the fabric in my dress. That is all the farther I am.
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
        Tired. 
        Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
        Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

This is exactly what I want to do with my wedding dress, but not sure what type of pattern to use. I don't want to add any other fabric to it and there is little embellishment, so it should be challenging. :-) I haven't made it a priority yet. I would like to have it done for our 50th Anniversary so I have over 7 years to accomplish this.

I saw somewhere that a christening dress was made from the mother's wedding dress and there was enough to make a small quilt also. I really like this idea.

My cousin made me a satin throw pillow a few years ago and quilted the front side with a circle feather design, so this is another suggestion to use some of the wedding dress.

ConnieJean

Indianapolis

Comment

How about something like a whole cloth with trapunto work? If piecing, definitely use a stabilizer.

Indianapolis

Comment

My mother took the left-over fabric from my wedding dress and made a baby quilt. It was beautiful.
              Unfortunately I forgot that the fabric was not washable and the 45 x 60 quilt shrank to fit a small
              baby bassinet. ops:

Comment

I made a christening dress from my wedding dress 37 years ago and it turned out lovely, I just could not see the point of a wedding dress left in a box at the back of the cupboard rarely ever seen again. To me this way it would be used over and over again and become a "family heirloom christening gown". It was very simple and what I would call an A-line style of dress with raglan sleeves. But alas not long after our first daughter was christened in this gown we went through a cyclone and the gown was lost never to be seen again. But I think it's a great idea.

Taree NSW - Australia
                My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X