Quilting a Crazy Quilt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting a Crazy Quilt?

Hi, all.

Not sure in which forum to post this, but this seem as good as any.

I am in the planning stages of a crazy quilt. How are they usually quilted? Stitch in the ditch? Just around the individual blocks? I assume all embellishment, such as embroidery, is done before batting and backing are added. I am concerned that any quilting might interfere with the surface embellishment.

Thanks!
    'thann

Others may know more about this, but every vintage and antique crazy quilt that I've seen has been tied, with the knots on the back of the quilt. They are usually made of heavy fabrics, with lots of embroidery, and quilting them would be difficult.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

I bet we'll have as many opinions about this as we have members. It's the usual: 'Whatever works for you!'

I sandwich and then quilt in the ditch along the main shapes. When that is done I have a very stable base for any embellishments, no matter how heavy they are. I end up with a lot of threads at the back that need sewing in (perfect job when my sons are watching a soccer match on tv), but I like the result.

Lorchen
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I have never made a crazy quilt, nor do I ever plan to, but it just occurred to me that if you were to quilt it before any of the decorative stitching and embellishments are added, couldn't you find a wonderful vintage-reproduction fabric (I'm thinking gorgeous floral) and quilt from the back side along the patterns so that you have a wonderful floral-like quilting pattern on the front? Then you could add whatever special stitching and beading after that.

Comment

Judith Baker Montano has a wonderful crazy quilt book (which I do not have with me right now in the motor home or I would look up the answer) but if you want the book it is available through the TQS store or maybe someone in your quilt guild has it or your library may be able to get it. I also have her silk ribbon embroidery book and the instructions in that are so good. I haven't gotten to the point of really studying the crazy quilt book but a friend who will be teaching crazy quilting in our park this winter borrowed mine and loved it. Well worth the price she said. Ann

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely look for the CQ book tomorrow at my guild meeting (where, coincidentally, I will be acting as assistant librarian).

Ruthann

Comment

Traditionally speaking, crazy quilts aren't quilted. The pieces are attached to a muslin foundation with the fancy stitching and when finished a pretty backing fabric is attached to hide the not-so-attractive back of the fancy stitching. This equals 3 layers. In a traditional crazy quilt there isn't any batting, they were very heavy (weight) without adding batting.
              I have a book called, "Crazy Shortcut Quilts" by Marguerita McManus and Sarah Raffuse that is a quilt as you go where you do the fancy stitching using your sewing machine. The authors include batting, but these crazy quilts are meant to be used, unlike the traditional ones that were to display ladies needlework skills. Usually they were draped over a piece of furniture for decorative purposes.

Jean

Comment

Originally posted by jasheeler
                Traditionally speaking, crazy quilts aren't quilted. The pieces are attached to a muslin foundation with the fancy stitching and when finished a pretty backing fabric is attached to hide the not-so-attractive back of the fancy stitching.
                Jean, how does the backing "stay" with the top (aside from the binding)? Wouldn't it separate and cause sagging? Would tying it be appropriate, perhaps at each block intersection?

'thann

Comment

Ruthann, I believe (meaning I am not 100% positive) :lol: that some were tied or stitched to the backing at regular intervals, but in such a way as to be hidden or very unobtrusive from the front.

Jean

Comment

Thanks, Jean! By the way, I love your altered cat avatar! Your cat looks exactly like my son's Russian Blue, Midi.

'thann

Comment

I think most traditional crazy quilts were tacked or tied in an unobtrusive way to hold them together at regular intervals. I have been wondering if I could add a contemporary twist to crazy patch by doing quilting in some of the spaces.
                      Not too long ago I pieced a table runner with lots of red fabrics in the style of crazy patch. After the piecing was done I did some decorative stitching following some of the seams. Then I layered it with batting and a backing and meander quilted over the whole runner. I think it worked and I am anxious to try something like it again.

Comment

There are no quilt police... the only police I know of try to stop me from getting to work on time ops:
                        If you are doing an all cotton crazy quilt, quilting it should present no problems. It is when you start including the velvets, silks etc. that problems might crop up. If in doubt, make a test sandwich. They make great kitty parking spots. :lol:

BTW the kitty avatar is my cat Binky, who was a foundling. or should I say that we were foundlings, found by her. :lol:

Comment

The fancy fabrics and embroidery would be stabilized by the muslin foundations. All the ones I've seen have been tied, too. If my memory serves me right, I think I saw one with the ties on the back. The placement of the ties was almost invisible on the front. But like someone said--NO QUILT POLICE!!! :lol: I saw an incredible antique quilt exhibit in Los Angeles several years ago and saw two of the most beautiful and unusual crazy quilts. I went through the exhibit twice!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 108 users online. 0 members and 108 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X