[vb_main_1]

Clean Up Your Sewing Room!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean Up Your Sewing Room!

We all, sooner or later, seem to end up with a messy sewing room....fabric everywhere, tools scattered about, papers and magazines and spools of thread in teetering piles... (except for ONE person I know, who lives in Goleta, CA -- you know who you are). But, it's often hard to take valuable time away from quiltmaking to straighten things up.

I've found a great way to get things tidy: On those occasional nights when I find myself unable to sleep, instead of lying awake in the dark trying to drop off, I get up and pick up the sewing room! :idea:

After a half hour or 45 minutes, everything is put away, the room is *exceptionally* neat, and I'm ready to go back to bed and fall asleep.

Try it!
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Problem is trying to clean quietly.... If I wake up DH there would be Hxxx to pay.... so the room stays dirty till he is off to work... My favorite insomnia cure is to put in one of my OLD MARTHA STEWART tapes from her old show... her delivery is so modulated... I fall asleep every time... the TV is programed to shut itself off.
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I just told my favorite husband that I was being sent to my sewing room to clean it up!!! I told him it was an ORDER!! LOL

I have just rearranged my sewing room. I have cleaned, folded and organized. It really is a pleasure to sew.
      I can now see my fabric...which is an obscene amount. I am glad to move everything out of bins and boxes and put it on shelves. No matter how I labeled the storage boxes...I never knew what I had.
      This has helped me stop buying repeats of fabric I already own.

It also gave me a chance to clean out my stash. I gave my quilting gals an opportunity to 'shop'. What was left, a local church group accepted my donation. I like that my unused fabric has a new home with those who will put it to good use. My taste in fabric and colors have changed. It has given me the freedom to use the fabric I love and not have the guilt of not using the fabric I have on hand.

FW
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      Tired. 

Comment

I will happily clean up the sewing room after I finish my next 2 quilts.
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired. 

Comment

I generally do a "big clean" any time a quilt is finished, or at least "finished for now"-- which recently happened, and this reminds me how nice it IS to work in a clean space. I know it won't stay that way, but at least for the moment...
          I have been getting better organized this year (thanks AGAIN Margo!) my stash is more manageable, and I can actually find fabric I want to USE instead of running out for more...

Florence
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired. 

Comment

Mmmm... and what do you tell the "not so favorite" hubby? LOL Nice to have multiple choices, you go girl!

I spent the day before yesterday pulling every stick of furniture out of my sewing room, cleaning it and carefully putting most of it back in, much better!

Have you "Tinkled" today?

Originally posted by FabricWhisperer
            I just told my favorite husband that I was being sent to my sewing room to clean it up!!! I told him it was an ORDER!! LOL
            FW
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired. 

Comment

I am so glad that I'm not the only one who thought of "which hubby"... javascript:emoticon(':lol:') :lol:
              Teri
              Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

more than one hubby? Perish the thought, one is more than enough trouble! LOL

Carla

Comment

He can be one the 'Favorite List'...and then his name will appear on the "Un-favorite list'...LOL

He usually is always on the Favorite Husband list.

But since I have been married three times...he is the 'Favorite Husband'!!!

FW

Comment

I'm both looking forward and dreading cleaning my sewing room. We are replacing windows in the house and I have to make room in my sewing room for the workmen to reach the windows in there. Then since my room will be in more of a mess than usual I'm going to paint the walls. I'm looking forward to the finished project but the mess inbetween will be hard to take. But I do love a clean sewing room. I think I get more inspired when it's cleaned up. But then the clean room doesn't last too long after the start of another project.
                    I'm loving the touch of fall in the air here in Northern Michigan. The quilting bug is starting to bite.........

Comment

For the past week I have been putting my sewing together. A nice fresh coat of paint on the walls and the woodwork. My DH painted my sewing table and a couple of other pieces of furniture. I had a mish-mash of furniture, now at least it looks more together. Since this is a new room for me it is taking me forever to find the 'right' place for everything. It is very exciting and it feels so clean :-) Cannot wait to jump into a project, hopefully next week.
                      Yesterday was so humid, we had the remnants of Hanna, but tonight there is a fall-like crispness in the air...I love it. If you don't like the weather here in New England just wait a minute.
                      Sylvia

Comment

Wish I had a sewing room to clean! Actually I have one, I just need to get rid of the bedroom furniture and put all my sewing and quilting stuff in it. Boy do I have plans! I'm already buyin' stuff! I love it when school supplies are on clearance!
                        Sherry in S MS

Comment

well, my sewing room also gets cleaned whenever my MIL visits... it's also the guest room. That's when EVERYTHING gets put away, although not always in the proper place :? ops:
                          Florence

Comment

My room gets cleaned when I lose something Happy

Comment

When I clean up my room I usually cannot find things. When its messy I know exactly where everything is. Is this just me? Sandi in FL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 197 users online. 0 members and 197 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X