[vb_main_1]

Make shift light table

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make shift light table

Here is a tip that I thought I would share. I was at a retreat and I needed a light table to trace some embroidered details on an applique. I hadn't brought one so I went into the kitchen and got four matching teacups. I put them upside-down on the table and put my 12 1/2" square on top. I opened up my OTT light so that it would lay flat and slid it underneath the square. Wah-la! an instant light table. It worked great. Necessity IS the mother of invention!

That is a great idea !! :lol: Thank you very much

Comment

I'm so dang visual. I can't get my brain around it. How did you support the square?
      eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

You're not alone, Eileen. I had the same question.
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Sounds like she is using the 4 tea cups to support the square. You could use 4 of anything that was the same size.

What a great idea!

Comment

I had the same question but was putting my square ruler away a few minutes later and thought ah ha !!! she meant put the square ruler on the tea cups and then the pattern and fabric square and trace. I could be totally wrong but that made since to me since she said 12 1/2 inches and that is the size of one of my rulers.

Ann

Comment

Now, that makes sense.
              eileenkny

Comment

Wow KJ ---What a neat idea!!!!!! I will use and remeber this one. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kjquilter
                  Here is a tip that I thought I would share. I was at a retreat and I needed a light table to trace some embroidered details on an applique. I hadn't brought one so I went into the kitchen and got four matching teacups. I put them upside-down on the table and put my 12 1/2" square on top. I opened up my OTT light so that it would lay flat and slid it underneath the square. Wah-la! an instant light table. It worked great. Necessity IS the mother of invention!
                  What a great tip, bet we will see this one in a future show.

Comment

Great tip, it worked beautifully. I already had a piece of thick clear plastic that I tried to use in a set up from Alex's Machine Quilting book ...supported by 2 chairs with the light source on the floor (sorry, Alex). Didn't work well and the light was uneven. I used this technique on the dining room table with coffee mugs for more height. Top tip!

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

I support my 18 x 24 plexi-glass with a bar of soap at each corner!! Hee-hee!!

Comment

I have an 18 in Plexiglass square that I set on top of a bright spot light - just set the light facing up and put the sqare right on top of it! I wouldn't recommend it if it is one of those ones that gets real hot, but mine is a cool light so it works fabulous.

Comment

I have a light box, but it's too small for some projects. I find myself taping the BOM patterns to the window when I need to make a few markings on my background fabric. I like the tip about the teacups.

Comment

DH made me a light box out of an old scanner. Very handy!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 72 users online. 0 members and 72 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X