[vb_main_1]

Changing needles???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing needles???

Okay, I have a really stupid question. Other than when I hear the popping noise, when should I change the needle on my sewing machine? I'm sure I must have known this at one time, but I've forgotten.
    Eileen 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

about every six hours or less if you're paper piecing or heavy quilting.

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

I change mine with each new quilt. (I tend to work on one quilt at a time).

Carla

Comment

My needles seem to get dull after 2 -3 quilts, I don't change my needles that often though. I can tell by the way the needle hits down into the fabric when it's time to change my needles, "by the sound and looks of the needle holes going into the fabric". I have been known to change my needle in the middle of the quilt due to the dullness. I keep a good supply of needles at hand and I also buy lots of extra bobbins for each machine. I would need a bigger supply of needles if I changed with every quilt. My stitches seem to stay nice and even through out. I know back in the day I would only change needles if they broke, sewing many months at a time! LOL!

Comment

the first day of the week that I sit down to sew...I change the needle, brush out the dust and oil my baby. maybe over-lovin', but it doesn't give me any back talk.

Comment

Before I joined TQS, I replaced a needle once in 10 years!! I thought you were supposed to change it when it broke!! :lol:

Comment

I've always heard 8 hours, but how I'd ever figure or remember that is beyond me! If I've had a marathon-sew-in or managed to sew every evening for a week or 2, I'll usually think to change it. And now, I write the date of the new one on blue painter's tape & stick it on the machine!!
              Or sometimes if a different size is called for, I'll toss the current one just b/c I'd never be able to remember how long it'd been used if at all. Speaking of tossing tho', I did pick up a good hint, and had DH drill a hole in the top of a pill bottle for needle & pin disposal. When it's getting full, just trade it for a regular top to throw away, then put the drilled top on a new bottle. REALLY helps on trash day!
              Florence

Comment

Change needles after four bobbins and oil your machine after 12 bobbins.

Comment

I didn't know we had to oil the computerized machines. From what I understood, they're to be oiled by the tech when the machine goes in for the annual maintenance.
                  eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I think I better go change my needle. ops:

Comment

Eileen, I think it depends on your manufacturer whether you oil or not. My new Viking Sapphire is no oil and specifically states in the instructions not to use any of the compressed air products to clean it (like used on a computer keyboard -lets see when did I do that last -like never!!! LOL) So my thought is read your manual and if it says oil then oil on that schedule and if it says don't oil DON'T!!!!

I figure we spent a whole lot more on the motorhome and if it pays to follow its maintenance schedule, then it pays to do the same on my machines. Now my problem is finding a Viking dealer that does cleaning and maintenance anymore near where I am going to be. The one in MPLS/ST.PAUL is so unreliable I wouldn't trust him with anything any more. I am not sure he knows what he is doing since he put my needle threader on, didn't tighten the screw so it fell off before we got home and then wouldn't return my calls. Too bad too because his mom owns the business and she has all the Viking dealerships in the area. Don't know what will happen to the business if ds gets to take over. Well guess I will have to give him a second chance this summer if I can't find someone sooner. Anybody know someone near Elgin Illinois that works on Vikings please let me know.

Well that is enough of that rant and rave for today Thanks for listening anyway.

Ann hopefullly on the way to Illinois next week

Comment

Eileen, in the class I took for my new Bernina, the teacher said to put a drop of oil in the bobbin area after every 2 or 3 bobbins. The dealer has to service the rest of the computerized machine. I can't remember off hand about needles, but I think I heard to change them after several hours of sewing or machine quilting.

Comment

Judy...my dealer and class instructor said the same thing for my Bernina. After so many hours or stitches an 'oil light' is displayed on the screen....just like in my car when I have to take it for a change.

Depending on the project, I may change needs twice during the project. In my thoughts, for a good crisp stitch...minimal cost of a needle is cheap.

FW

Comment

I put a drop of oil in every 2-3 bobbins also. The 440 Bernina I have now is almost 2 years old. They have an oil can light that comes on every 180, 000 stitches. I lost track after about 40 times, I was trying to keep a count.
                            Well, my machine was in for service last week and when the tech checked the counter I was up to 9 million stitches!!!
                            My Bernina is like a timex, keeps on ticking.

Cher in BC

Vancouver, BC Canada

Comment

You are all probably all going to laugh and fall off you chairs but on my Grandmother's machine I have never changed the needle. I have had it for over 25 years. Mind you I have only been quilting for about 5 years with a 2 year absence in between year 2 and 3. However, I have made several dresses with it. I have though faithfully oiled it and cleaned it. Right now it is broken. (not the needle, the machine) On my other machine I have replaced the needle much more often. This however is not because I thought of it but because my children or someone else would touch my machine and my needle would be the one thing missing. Once it was my presser foot. That caused a huge reaction from me and it was returned within a few hours. I told you, you would probably laugh or fall off your chair. What can I say OOPS Rachel

Vancouver, BC Canada

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X