[vb_main_1]

warped quilt: blocking question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

warped quilt: blocking question

Today I finally got to hang this quilt and see what happened. The wavey border held up with the help of wire laced in the back, much to my relief...... but despite my efforts to block the center of the quilt, 1/2 sqare triangles on edges (bias), I see that I didn't really fix the problem as I thought. This quilt has been a 2 year adventure that evolved as I learned new tricks and had new ideas.

Question: I plan to try blocking again but... any tips since the border was added later? I guess I'll see myself. I just wonder if anyone has 2 cents to add before I try.

Barbara
    PS. I thought I could post the pic here. See my profile if you want to see the pic. THANKS! :lol: [/img]

on Alex's site, one of the podcasts, I think, has a great explanation of blocking a quilt. Come to think of it, possibly it was on Simply Quilts. Hmmmn, check the podcasts first, then the hgtv website and see what comes up. I'll check and see what I can find for you.

Happy Quilting!
    Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

I would think that if you blocked the whole quilt, the center would straighten itself out. Or maybe you can pin it as if you were blocking and then steam the wavy areas. We do this sometimes on the longarms when clients' quilts are waving at us.

Eileen Keane, mailto:mpkemk@frontiernet.net
      http://www.designingquilts.com
      Gammill Classic Plus
      Maybrook, NY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Well, I just dove in on this adventure today.
        The quilt was still hanging this morning and not only one side was "waving at me" (cute one!) but both sides! It appears that the bottom must be wider than the top!

I never blocked a quilt before, only the single top layer. It's sqared and pinned to the floor as I type. I really hope this works...

btw, I did find the blocking topic on simply quilts. It helped.

I'll let ya know how it went.
        thanks again.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Barbara, whether that quilt waves at you for the rest of its life and yours it is fantastic. I have some wall hangings that wave at me too and I feel they were learning experiences and I cherish them because I stepped out and tried something. I hope your blocking works but if not --- take a deep breath and evaluate whether you accomplished something with the quilt and if you accomplished something be proud and let it wave. Remember my motto---- there are no mistakes in quilting or life ---- only happy accidents and interesting experiences. By the way, all of your quilts are spectacular. You definitely are a star so go forth and SHINE.

YOUR ADMIRERER, ANN MAYBE SOMEDAY MINE WILL LOOK AS GOOD WAVES AND ALL

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraZuazua
            Today I finally got to hang this quilt and see what happened. The wavey border held up with the help of wire laced in the back, much to my relief...... but despite my efforts to block the center of the quilt, 1/2 sqare triangles on edges (bias), I see that I didn't really fix the problem as I thought. This quilt has been a 2 year adventure that evolved as I learned new tricks and had new ideas.

Question: I plan to try blocking again but... any tips since the border was added later? I guess I'll see myself. I just wonder if anyone has 2 cents to add before I try.

Barbara
            PS. I thought I could post the pic here. See my profile if you want to see the pic. THANKS! :lol: [/img]
            Barbara,
            I'm obviously a little behind in reading the forum but I love your quilts! What did you finally do with this quilt? I thought the "wave" went with the wave pattern on the border. I think it's beautiful. I have a similar problem on one of my large quilts, king size, and I haven't figured out what to do yet. I may just make the border larger and leave it as is.
            Your quilts really are beautiful!
            Charlotte (charmart)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 42 users online. 0 members and 42 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X