[vb_main_1]

How To Store Quilts At Home

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Store Quilts At Home

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I would like to pass along some knowledge that I have acquired over the seven years I have worked in a musuem with a large quilt/textiles collection. Many quilters may need some advice on how to store their quilts - especially antique heirlooms.

There are a couple of tried and true methods that don't take up much room and there are a couple of things you should NEVER do. So, I guess I'll start with the "dont's." NEVER, EVER store your quilts in a wooden quilt box, cedar chest or hang on a wooden rack without creating a barrier between the wood and your quilt. I learned the hard way with one of my quilts and had a textiles conservator confirm the fact for me. Wood, stained or unstained, over the years will release substances that will stain your quilt. You will have brown spots turn up even on parts of the quilt that may not be in contact with the wood.

If you are using a wooden quilt box for storage, go to your local art supply store and buy sheets of what is called "foam core." The store employees will know what you mean. Cut the sheets to fit the sides and bottom of your box, creating a lining that completely separates the wood from your fabric.

Then fold your quilts, using acid free tissue between layers and scrunching it to pad out the folds. Lastly, make a sack of unbleached muslin and slip the quilt inside, tying the end closed with cotton twill tape or twine. This allows the quilt to "breathe" but keeps dust and critters out. Stack the padded and bagged quilts in the lined quilt box. You can even top it off with another piece of foam core if you have room. Occasionally, when you have nothing else to do - ha, ha - rotate the quilts from top to bottom.

If you don't have a quilt box, you can use the same method in a large plastic box. The foam core barrier is not necessary, but muslin should still be used in case the plastic off-gasses at all.

An even better method of storing your quilts, the method museums prefer, is to roll them. Go to your local carpet store and ask for some of the long cardboard tubes they are going to dispose of. When you get them home, vacuum them well. Cut the tube about 12" longer than the width of your quilt. Cover the tube completely, into the ends, with heavy duty aluminum foil. Cardboard is VERY ACIDIC and over time will damage your quilt if no barrier is created. Next, cover the foil with either a layer of muslin or acid free tissue. (DON't use tape to hold the tissue in place. The adhesive can migrate over time and stain your fabric.) Then, roll your quilt on the tube, interfacing with acid free tissue as you go. The idea is that your quilt does not touch itself as you roll it around the tube. Finally, wrap it with unbleached muslin and tie in several places along the length with cotton twill tape. The ends of the tube should stick out about 6" on each side, allowing you to tie a length of tape at each end, sort of sealing it. Then tuck the ends of the muslin inside the tube and you're done. Store it under your bed. A little dusting wouldn't hurt occasionally, as dust can be abrasive if it works into the muslin, which may be a good argument for wrapping the quilt with acid free tissue before the outer layer of muslin.

Another method that museums use is to fold and pad the quilts with acid free tissue and store in archival quality textile boxes. If you've got room to stack the boxes, they are great, but can be pricey.

If you're displaying your quilt on a wooden rod or rack, just wrap the rod with foil just the width of your quilt. It won't show and the barrier will protect your quilt from off-gassing.

I know this is a lot of information, but hopefully it will give you some ideas for how to safely preserve those wonderful quilts you spend so much time and love on.

Wow Sherry! That information is worth the price of admission. My father-in-law had a quilt from one of his relatives that looked very old and had some serious wear and tear and stains. I'm sure when it was made no one gave a thought to proper storage. When I saw it it was on a wooden quilt rack. I had no clue that wasn't a good thing to do. I had the idea to reproduce it someday but it was destroyed by a fire. I don't even have a picture of it. Very unfortunate. However, I'm glad I have the info on how to keep future heirlooms looking beautiful for years. Thank you so much!
    Sherry

Comment

Sherry, thank you so much for posting this valuable information, it is very much appreciated here! Not that I produce all that many heirlooms, LOL, but I've printed it out for future reference.

Thanks again,

Jorja

Comment

Originally posted by Sherrym
        I don't know if anyone is interested...
        A very big THANK YOU for this information! I love knowing that I can now protect my projects.

Comment

Sherrym,

Wow, you're advice couldn't have come at a better time, at least for me! My Mom is in a cleaning out mood, and she was ready to throw out her wedding gown, veil, and lace gloves. Along with a quilt that my Great, Great Grandmother made. Believe me I scarffed all of it up and took the quilt to an certified quilt appraiser, and boy am I glad I did, it's worth alot more than I thought! Then last week Mom cleaned out another room and came across another quilt that she doesn't even remember who made it, but it was on their bed when they were first married almost 60 years ago. And she said that it was only an old hand-me down then. As soon as my appraiser gets back from Paduca, I will have this one appraised too. Unfortunately she washed this one in the washer (at least it was on gentle) and was about to put it into the dryer when I walked in the door. Boy was I glad I timed that so well, and told her to dry it flat as some of the quilting was coming out and some of the sashing was shredded. I knew that I couldn't store any of these things in just any box and that I needed acid free tissue but the rest of your advise is wonderful!
          Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

We have a guest room. When we have no guests, all my extra quilts are on that bed. When a guest comes (and I have one coming for a week on Tuesday), they get to pick which quilt they want to use, and the others get folded up and tucked in one of the closets until they leave.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

I too keep all my quilts on the bed in my guest room, It's easy to turn back each one to show people that ask to see them, I don't have to unfold, hold up, refold. My DGD baby quilt I made is rolled up like a log in acid free paper, wrapped in acid free paper, and vacuumed sealed with a Seal a Meal. Is vacuum sealed a good thing?

Comment

Sewbug asked: "Is vacuum sealed a good thing?"

Sewbug,

I would be a little leary of the plastic that is used in the Seal-a-Meal. The fact that you used acid-free tissue and rolled it is great, but most plastics contain chemicals that continue to off-gas for years. I've never used vacuum packaging - is all the moisture drawn out? If any moisture is trapped in the package, it will mold on your quilt and the stains will never come out. I forget which is the bad kind of bag - polypropyline or polyethelene - I can find out and let you know. You might want to look on the label for the bags you use and see if it tells you what it is made of. If it doesn't, to be on the safe side, I would store it in a muslin bag, but that, of course, is up to you.

Comment

Sherrym,
                  Great tips! I have my grandmothers quilt on a quilt rack, I will have to go move it. I dont want to ruin it. I better tell my monkey sister about this. Thanks for sharing.
                  Linda

Comment

Yesterday, my sister surprised me with two (new in the box) green painted metal quilt racks that she purchased at an estate sale. I noticed when I took one out of its box that there was a little green paint on the packing materials, so I rubbed the bars with an old white cloth to see if the paint would rub off--it did! Do you have any suggestions on how I can cover the bars to be able to use the quilt racks? I'm also concerned about the sides of the rack that are also green painted metal. Should I spray a coat of polyurethane over the entire quilt rack or will polyurethane also gas off?

By the way, the bars are pretty thin--maybe 1/4". Putting a quilt on a bar that thin would be like hanging it on a hanger. So, I'm considering some sort of tubing over the bars. Any suggestions, besides donating the quilt racks to the Salvation Army?

Comment

I am no expert on hanging quilts (but have done quite a bit of research on storing other types of textiles and keepsakes to avoid damage) but here are some thoughts.

First I would do something to seal the green paint so it will not rub off on anything as it may be impossible to display a quilt without touching the rack at all.

Next I would get some "pipe insulation" It is a tubular shaped substance that is used to put around water pipes that are in danger of freezing. What I have seen is green and is slit so it will fit around the pipe. I would put that on the wire like hanger. And then I would cover the insulation with quilt batting and muslin Just wrap it and do a few stitches along the edge to keep it together. That should pad your quilt enough to not make a crease and with the batting and muslin you shouldn't get any chemical seepage from the insulation.

It is a shame to give away a gift but if you can't stop the green from shedding you may have to. Better that than ruin a treasured quilt.

Keep us posted on your quilt rack adventures.

Ann [/i]

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
                        We have a guest room. When we have no guests, all my extra quilts are on that bed. When a guest comes (and I have one coming for a week on Tuesday), they get to pick which quilt they want to use, and the others get folded up and tucked in one of the closets until they leave.

Pat in Rockport, TX
                        Thanks to Sherry M and Pat for the quilt storage tips. I thought I knew the correct information but these posts expanded my horizons. Thanks mucho!

Comment

Sherry great information. I have seen quilts get ruined by both cedar chest and wooden quilt racks, Yellowing and rust stains. These stains are not easy to get out either. My Grandmother had afew beautiful quilts that did this.
                          For those who store thier quilts by folding them they need to re-fold them often so they don't get these creasing yellowing stains.
                          If you store your quilts on a bed I would use a white sheet in between each quilt,and ontop. Make sure the little ones don't play or eat on the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by snowplow3840
                            I am no expert on hanging quilts (but have done quite a bit of research on storing other types of textiles and keepsakes to avoid damage) but here are some thoughts.

First I would do something to seal the green paint so it will not rub off on anything as it may be impossible to display a quilt without touching the rack at all.

Next I would get some "pipe insulation" It is a tubular shaped substance that is used to put around water pipes that are in danger of freezing. What I have seen is green and is slit so it will fit around the pipe. I would put that on the wire like hanger. And then I would cover the insulation with quilt batting and muslin Just wrap it and do a few stitches along the edge to keep it together. That should pad your quilt enough to not make a crease and with the batting and muslin you shouldn't get any chemical seepage from the insulation.

It is a shame to give away a gift but if you can't stop the green from shedding you may have to. Better that than ruin a treasured quilt.

Keep us posted on your quilt rack adventures.

Ann [/i]
                            Thanks so much snowplow3840!!! I would have never thought about the pipe insulation--that's a great idea! For now, I'm using one of the quilt racks in my guest bathroom as a magazine rack. I haven't taken the other one out of the box.

Rhetorically, why would anyone make a quilt rack that can't be used "as is" to safely display a quilt? I wonder if anyone makes a quilt rack that comes ready to use with the muslin covered bars--I'll check the internet. If not, then I smell a business opportunity.

Comment

Nancy, I know your question was rhetorical but as far as I can tell lots of manufacturers of "things" have never really used them because a lot of things are made in such a way that they are not useful. Why would you put a vanity desk type area in a motorhome and not have enough room near it for a chair to sit on and not have knee room? Why make a kitchen cupboard that is so small you cannot put a standard dish in it? etc. etc.

But seriously check into some Amish or Mennonite furniture stores. I have seen some beautiful usefull quilt racks in those stores in our travels. They are useful because the Amish and Mennonite women make quilts. Nuff said.
                              Ann

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X