CHOICES FOR MAKING TEMPLATES

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHOICES FOR MAKING TEMPLATES

Hi All,
    We all have made our own templates, from paper to lucite - SO, anyone got some unique products to use for those templates we just HAVE to have but can never find in the store???

I've tried the plastic Bacon trays and they're fine, once you get the greese off of them, but they're really small, so....

My favorite - and it's FREE - is to go to the local X-ray place (ours in Phoenix, AZ. is Valley Radiologists) and ask them for their "throw away" x-rays. Sometimes I get some REALLY cool sheets that are clear and once I got a stack of red sheets that were about 10 inches square. (Most are about 17 X 14 inches in size.) It cuts up great, it's sturdy, it's a great size, you can write on it with either a pen or marker and it's FREE! :P
    Kip

great idea kip, I'll have to check into that one
    TTFN, Linda

Comment

Hi y'all. When I read this about the x-ray films, it reminded me of something I want to pass along, for what it's worth. A few months ago I read somewhere that these x-ray slides/films, even the unused ones, have a chemical in them that could cause some kind of problem. I'm sorry to be so vague about details, but thought I'd mention it, in the event you want to check it out further. Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by shirmoor
        Hi y'all. When I read this about the x-ray films, it reminded me of something I want to pass along, for what it's worth. A few months ago I read somewhere that these x-ray slides/films, even the unused ones, have a chemical in them that could cause some kind of problem. I'm sorry to be so vague about details, but thought I'd mention it, n the event you want to check it out further. Have a great day!
        Hey Thanks. When I first started using this X-ray film I thought of that so when I use them I wash my hands - really well - both before and after I use it. I also wash my quilt tops after I piece them together and before I build my sandwich for finishing my quilt. That way I feel I'm pretty safe from whatever is on those films. After all, those X-ray Technicians handle these films all day long, usually 5 days a week and they seem to be fine. Thank-you for reminding me of something I forgot to mention in my post.
        ops:
        Kip

Comment

I've used the plastic from milk jugs.

Comment

I have used the Solo plastic disposable plates to cut out templates. Very sturdy and easy to cut.

Comment

Girls, a friend of mine that used to work at a hospital told me she cleans the x-ray sheets with alcohol before using them to do templates. It seems it makes the dark goes off.

I've never tried, I'm too scared of it... but I like to use what they call 'bristol sheets' in France, I don't know the english name for that.

Those are like recipe cards but in a A4 size. It's wonderful to print the shape directly on that and cut.

Selmy

Comment

I think you're referring to silver nitrate. Not harmful at all. Know though, that x-rays are going the way of camera film, as they are now largely done digitally, and viewed by physicians on a computer screen. So it's back to milk cartons, I guess!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 42 users online. 0 members and 42 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X