[vb_main_1]

Do all old quilts have to be preserved?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do all old quilts have to be preserved?

I have some quilt tops from people that they've found in their attics or that a family member passed on to them. Now---some of these are butt ugly. I'm sorry but they really are. Some of them are very badly made as well.
    Do they all have to be preserved? :? ?
    I don't want to use them for practice pieces on the longarm either. I just don't know what to do.
    eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Eileen, PLEASE DON'T GET RID OF THEM!! I treasure quilts like these!! Because I have nothing from my own family. Have you ever ready my story on my website? http://endeavorsoftheheart.com I would LOVE to see pictures of your quilts, "ugly" to me is a TREASURE!!

Comment

Eileen, I've been told that if a quilt top is REALLY old, it needs to remain unquilted. Quilting it would compromise the value. I think most quilts made in the 20th century would be candidates for quilting. If a top is so poorly made, you might consider re-making the blocks, or salvaging the old fabric and making another top. (that statement may spark some comments! :shock: :lol: ) I've seen a few speakers at quilt guilds that have used poorly made quilts in their lectures. If you didn't want these tops or quilts, I would consider selling them. I know they would be loved by someone. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Judy, I have heard exactly the opposet in terms of old unquilted tops. I read somewhere that is IS advisable to go ahead and quilt them because the quilting will stableize the top and prevent further degridation. I do believe the article also said something about using vintage material if possible when doing this though so stronger materials did not inadvertantly rip the top.

As for reusing old quilts to make new ones, my friend's mother has taken several well loved/worn quilts and cut them apart to make teddy bears out of them, using only the sections that were in good shape for the teddy bear parts and disposing of the most worn/ripped/stained parts.

Comment

I know what you mean, some of these old quilt tops are ugly to our modern eyes! I think because quilters in the old days didn't have access to the great fabrics we do now! And sometimes, they are damaged (the dreaded bug spots), or maybe the top is full of stitched bumps -- probably the reason the original maker didn't quilt it, maybe it was a learning experience for her!

Anyway, I don't think there's any shame in salvaging what you can. I have taken a stained & ripped top, cut out the largest pieces I could salvage, and made doll quilts out of the remainder. Or pick off the usable blocks of applique & put them on a fresh back. Or cut out large pieces of usable fabric & use them in your new-old quilt.

Good luck in making your oldies into goodies, and be sure to post pictures for us to ooooh and ahhhh over!

Kathy

Comment

I had a very well used old quilt (probably quilted by my great grandmother but history was spotty) I couldn't bear to get rid of it and yet it was truly unusable in its present state. Too many campground experiences before I realized it was a treasure.

When I decided it needed a new life I called my Mom and asked her advice and then permission to give it a second purpose. for Christmas that year, I gave each of the members of my close family a piece of the quilt either made into a pillow or a wall hanging.

I had enough for three more wall hangings left and thought my mother's cousins (grandchildren of the maker) would like to have a piece of it. Two of them were not interested but the third cousin wanted all three pieces if I was willing to give them to her. Needless to say I did and she gave one to her daughter and one to her second son and his wife. They knew nothing about the history but treasured them anyway and to my surprise and theirs we put the whole history together when we held our traveling cousins reunion in 2003. Since then I have been able to share more family treasures with them after our Moms had joined together in heaven, The quilt in my profile Remembering Aunt Cora lives with one of them and the other has Remembering Aunt Cora II I have Remembering Aunt Cora III. Cora was their Grandmother and my beloved aunt.

I have been told I am on the way to quilter's hell because I cut up this quilt but if quilter's hell is filled with other quilters and people like my cousins, it won't be all bad. LOL

Ann[/img][/i]

Comment

If they belonged to family, I might be interested. But these quilts belonged to people I don't know and have no connection with, except as customers. Plus, they bought them from ebay! So that removes them even more.
              So, now what do you think I should do?
              eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Eileen,
                Quilt them up, all of them and sell them either at your guild boutique in September or create an etsy shop on your website and sell them that way.
                Another option is the veterans home in Montrose needs quilts of all sizes for the vets who are moving in later this summer. They are still in need of quilts for some of the beds. If you need more information on this call me and we can have another marathon chat session.javascript:emoticon('8)')

Teri
                Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 162 at 11:28 PM on 05-25-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X