[vb_main_1]

Heavy or Topstitching thread for Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy or Topstitching thread for Quilt

I am trying to use a 30wt thread to quilt small areas on quilted pillows. My Bernina is not doing a great job. It could be the quality of thread (Jeans thread) or the needle, a Topstitch needle. Is there a better combo? I'm free motion quilting with a BSR. I want these small areas to stand out and regular 50 wt just looks spidery.
    Thanks,
    Joanne

Hi, I'd use a No 16 topstitch needle and drop the top tension. If that doesn't work try putting the heavy thread in the bobbin and quilt from the back. 40 wt thread shouldn't look spidery expecially if you choose a thread with a sheen. Is it a tension problem or the thread breaking with you?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thank you Wendy,
      That is the same advice that I got from Superior Threads. I'm changing my threads and needle. I will see how that goes. I wasn't breaking thread but rather getting a rats nest under the fabric. I post what happens after I get the materials and make the changes.
      Joanne

Comment

30 wt thread and a topstitch needle are fine. I'd make sure the needle is size 100/16 and I would definitely lengthen the stitch length a bit to accommodate a thicker thread. Hope this helps.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 51 users online. 0 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X