[vb_main_1]

Thread breaking while embroidering

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread breaking while embroidering

I am having problems with thread breaking while embroidering. I am using a Schmetz Gold 90/14 needle, Isacord 40 wt thread on top and have tried both Aurifil 40 or 60 in the bobbin and Bottom Line in the bobbin. UGH! :x I can't seem to figure out what I need to do different..... although now I am thinking that I should stop trying to use the Gold needle and go back to Top Stitch, as I have done in the past. (And am OUT of Top Stitch needles, so will probably head over to Joann's shortly).

I also just recently had my machine in for an annual check-up and got all the software upgrades that it was due. I have also been regularly getting an error message telling me that I need to clean the bobbin case...... :x

It's just not my day for success in finishing my current project. :?

I would sure appreciate some advice on what I should try to do different for more success!

Thanks so much!!!

Mary Kay, have you adjusted the tension in your bobbin case, then matched the tension with your top tension dial?
    You can get some great info about tension from Superior Threads at: http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/5-tension/

Be sure to check out Bob's other videos! The info will definitely help!

And Libbi has a great discussion about threads going here:
    http://forum/bernina-corner/3761-sug...-monopoly-etc-

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

How about try a new needle, even tho the current one isn't "old".

I feel your pain!!

I've been working like a mad-woman to get a pillow top done and finally finished this a.m. Now to complete the pillow. I've blown my goal of noon clear out the window but MIL called and I had to do stuff for her. :P Last night I was saying bad things to the proofer for Ms. Haskins embroidery designs. I'm use the Aquamarine Ambiance patterns for pillows and one of the designs had the understitching wrong a few times so I had to really babysit it... same design I needed 4x!!

I hope you figure out how to solve our problem.

Joyce
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
      Tired. 
      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
      Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Is it the top or bottom thread that is breaking? My machine doesn't care for Bottom Line for machine embroidery. Have you taken the works apart to see if you have a thread stuck someplace weird?
        If the top thread has broken, you may have something stuck in the take-up lever. I've been brave enough to take the head cover off & get stuck pieces out...once guided by my LQS pro. If all this started after your tune-up, can you ask the shop what adjustments, if any, they made? That's an odd co-incidence.
        Keep us posted!

Most of the time I have thread breaking, it's getting caught somewhere under the spool or not feeding correctly.

Comment

Thanks, All!
          * I changed the needle to a Embroidery 75/11, which gave a much better appearance for what I was trying to accomplish.
          * And I reduced the upper tension to 2.25 and
          * did a thorough cleaning for all loose threads on the interior of the bobbin case area.

No more breakage :!: :!: :!:

I did find that the Isacord would shred after so much sewing, so I switched to King Tut, and had no breakage and MUCH better appearance (I was doing a lot of small lettering, and the King Tut was just a better looking thread than the Isacord which seemed to thin (both were 40 weight). And I slowed down the speed to 50% or 75% of the max speed. YEAH!

I also figured out that when I actually close the bobbin door on the sewing machine I would NOT get the warning to clean the bobbin case (I never closed it while sewing in the past).

Thank you, All, for your advice!!!
          Mary Kay

Comment

WHOO-HOO!! Do we get some photos as a reward??? :wink:

Comment

Here it is.... I have been working on embroidering the 2009 Georgia Tech football schedule results (they won the ACC Championship).  And I also included a pic of the quilt. Raw edge applique, hoping to get thing ironed on and machine appliqued tomorrow.

Comment

What a great quilt, Mary Kay! I'm a big GA Tech fan myself, so if you ever need a good home for that quilt, let me know! My daughter is a Tech grad and I made her a t-shirt quilt with Tech fabric for the sashings! She would have loved something like you have done on this quilt!

Comment

OMYGOSH!! Mary Kay, it turned out way beyond my expectations!! You're doing a fabulous job!

Comment

Thanks, Carol! This is for a very good friend of mine and I want to get it to her prior to the 2010 season starting! GT sure is a great school - you're daughter is an impressive lady to have graduated from there! Thanks for your kind comments!

THANKS, Margo!!! I am really pleased with how it is turning out! Will post photos when I am done!

Comment

WOW! Mary Kay that is really something! What a cool idea and it looks great. Hope everything goes smoothly now for you.
                      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Great embroidery and a very clever idea!

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Wonderful quilt and great idea

Taree NSW - Australia
                          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Super glad you got the machine to cooperate! Great idea -- love the quilt and the stats on there.

Hooray!!

Joyce
                            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                            working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                            Tired. 
                            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                            Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X