[vb_main_1]

Embroidery Software - What's the best

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidery Software - What's the best

What is the best software package out there? My machine is a BabyLock so I picked up Designer's Gallery StudioPlus, Colorworks and SizeWorks. It just does not seem to work well or it could be the user does not understand how to use the software. Normally I have no problem with programs. Recently I picked up an Anita Goodesign Falling Leaves CD but can't do anything with it on my computer through the Designer's Gallery software. So please, help this poor person. Bobbi

Bobbi, I have Janome machines, and I have Janome's Digitizer Pro. It is not exactly user friendly, and the accompaning manual leaves much to be desired (as do most Janome manuals!). I go monthly to a digitizing club at my LQS where we are trying to learn together how to use the software. I am getting better, but I know I am not using it to its best advantage.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois.....maybe JoJo will speak up and give us her opinion

Comment

Originally posted by maggieszafranski
      Bobbi, I have Janome machines, and I have Janome's Digitizer Pro. It is not exactly user friendly, and the accompaning manual leaves much to be desired (as do most Janome manuals!). I go monthly to a digitizing club at my LQS where we are trying to learn together how to use the software. I am getting better, but I know I am not using it to its best advantage.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois.....maybe JoJo will speak up and give us her opinion
      Good morning! Okay, I'll bite, but remember everyone has an opinion. This is just mine, and I'm a bit long winded. :lol:

Okay, here goes -- nearly ALL home embroidery softwares are great. How's that? Hmmm...not what you thought I'd say, huh?

Here's the rub on digitizing softwares or any software for that matter. It doesn't matter how good the software is if you don't know how to use it. I know that sounds a little harsh, but it's true.

My recommendation for digitizing software is the same as someone recommending a sewing machine or any other purchase that is going to cost you a chunk of your hard-earned dollar. Find a place that really "knows" the software and where you can learn it inside and out. Let me warn you however, that this is not an easy task.

When I first started out learning about embroidery and the various softwares, I purchased the software that was recommended and pushed by the sewing machine manufacturer that I purchased and the salesman said that classes were 'free' to learn it! Well, there was a person at the store that 'taught' the software, but after two months of experimenting, I knew more about the software than the teacher. The class was merely a get to know your software primer not an in-depth education that I was seeking. In defense of the store, apparently this is all most folks want.

The software was good and it did lots of things that was totally cool, but when I decided to start an embroidery business and purchase commercial embroidery machines, guess what? I learned that that particular software was severly lacking in control and that the education that I needed was nonexistent.

So what is control? Control is what I want when I want it in the manner that I choose. Most (not all) home embroidery digitizing software companies assume that you or I will not want to make every decision when you want to stitch out a design. So in an effort to help you (me), they make the decision for you. Things such as jump stitches and where they will be or where the connecting threads will be in letters or what the push/pull compensation will be, what type of underlay will there be.

Have I bored you to tears yet? Well 90 percent of the software companies out there believe you don't want to make all these decisions and that you don't want to know/learn all of the nuances of what a stitch does to a particular fabric. And they are probably right because most folks want to stitch out a simple name or a design on an item now. Time is precious to all of us and if you don't have time to learn everything, these softwares do a great job.

Recommendations/Things to think about:

Never buy a digitizing software that you can't try. If a temporary download is not available, find someone in your area that has the software or a store and go in and sit down with a person and watch/learn about it. Go to various sites and ask lots of questions.

What is your goal for the software? Do you want the software to do lettering mostly, make minor changes in a design, or are you wanting to create your own designs? Are you like me and want to have control of everything or are you happier allowing the software to help you? Both decisions are perfectly acceptable. Know yourself and what you want to do.

Once you know your goal, ask around, find yahoo groups, and study as much as you are willing. Learn more about the various softwares available and what they can/can't do.

If you want to digitize from scratch, sign up for classes. There are some great online classes available that teach excellent digitizing basics that are non-software specific. Even if you don't plan on digitizing from scratch, it is helpful to know what happens to fabric when you embroider on it. For example, you would think denim would be an easy fabric to stitch on because it's a firm, stable fabric. It can be downright tough to stitch on depending on how many stitches you are attempting to stitch on denim because most denim fabrics are very tightly woven (many threads to the inch). Now try to stick a whole bunch more thread in an area that already has a large amount of thread and well -- it won't fit that well.

Poll Question: How many people would be interested in a free mini-workshop on digitizing basics? If enough folks are interested and you are willing to do some homework, I'll prepare some tutes.

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

JoJo, thanks so much for all your insight and knowledge. It is a BIG help. I know the software I currently have was pushed by the Baby Lock retail dealer and is what Baby Lock pushes on their site. With further reseach (much more is needed :lol: ) I have pulled hidden memories from the ole noggin that there is much more software available to me from Baby Lock and I just don't have all the right pieces.

So, before I go and invest more money on the Baby Lock side or any one elses' side I will be doing a lot of reseach as to what is out there and what works best for me.

To answer the poll question - I would be interested.
        Thanks again, Bobbi

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Hi,
          Thanks for the reply. I have a Bernina 440 emb. machine. I have taken classes where I purchased it. Tried out doing some designs and still cannot do what I want.
          It would be great if you could help us out with this. Rina in Ma.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

Bobbi,

I went out to research your software and I see that:

StudioPlus is meant to Organize, Catalog, and, Convert (Spend more time embroidering instead of hunting for design by easily organizing your entire design library. This complete design management platform allows you to quickly catalog designs and instantly find them later.)

SizeWorks is meant to Enlarge, Reduce, and Recalculate designs.
            (Too big? Too small? Just right! Mark your designs and your project ideas a perfect fit. Designer's Gallery SizeWorks software allows you to enlarge or reduce the size of any designs – all while maintaining a perfect stitch count. SizeWorks lets designs work for projects of any size, for perfect embroidery ever time. )

I couldn't find anything on ColorWorks. What is it supposed to do?

Does StudioPlus allow you to "ADD" anything to the design?

It appears that with your current configuration of software additions, you can't actually add anything to a design. Is my assumption correct?

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

JoJo, you are correct. The current config does not allow any additions and you are correct about StudioPlus and SizeWorks. ColorWorks allows you to manipulate the colors. If I want to bring stuff in and manipulate, it appears the program that is needed is CustomWorks, at least from what I read. Of course then I see they have HoopWorks (allows to work with multiple hoopings and works with SizeWorks to adjust image sizes) and then QuiltWorks II for quilting within the hoop. From my reading, all of these are stand alones but need StudioPlus to launch from and will work with CustomWorks.

I do know I want to bring designs in from other CD's, be able to manipulate and combine designs. As to designing my own, to be perfectly honest, that scares me some, so must say that would be way down the road.

Time for more research. Thanks again. Bobbi

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

http://www.quiltuniversity.com has online classes on how to use embroidery machines and software. Joanne Winn is the teacher. The classes are inexpensive &amp; although I wasn’t a total beginner in the Beginning Machine Embroidery class, I learned a lot. It may be awhile before the first class comes around again because it just ended. Although she states what machine she owns, she stresses that the class is for all embroidery machines. In the first class there is information on downloading designs, converting them to formats for the various machines, etc. She is familiar with most machines &amp; is very helpful on helping solve problems.

From there, the level of courses increases in using embroidery machines. QuiltUniversity is worth a look for all kinds of embroidery, quilting &amp; machine arts.

All software has many features in common, just as all word-processing programs have features in common. If you are interested in watching free lessons on Bernina Artista software, go to http://www.exnovodesign.com for great lessons on digitizing, creating machine appliqué, just all kinds of stuff. If your computer connection is not extremely fast and the videos “jerk”, the lessons can be downloaded.

In addition, the http://www.berninausa.com site has many free lessons on the Bernina software through the Quarterly Software Society. Go to Learn It! and wade through the many lessons.

Although your icons may be different in software for other brands, and some features may be different, if the basic understanding is there, learning a different program may be easier.

I love Artista software. It is complex, but so versatile. I've had a fantastic time learning it. I can digitize any .jpg, including drawings of my own that I scan. It is, howevery, proprietary to Bernina machines.

I hope this helps.

Comment

I love Artista software. It is complex, but so versatile. I've had a fantastic time learning it. I can digitize any .jpg, including drawings of my own that I scan. It is, howevery, proprietary to Bernina machines.

Your not saying that Artista can only save in embroidery formats that work with a Bernina are you? I thought Artista was different than that and could save dst and many other formats.

When you are digitizing, what is your native file format extension?

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

Thank you JoJo for making me get my information straight. ops:

Bernina Embroidery Software V5 can save in any machine format (at least the major ones I would recognize, 25 different formats. I save as .art. I can import .pes &amp; it converts the file to .art. I've never tried any other format. I guess that means that this software works for many machines.

Version 6 will be sold in late August to September. According to the forums I've been reading, folks are really excited about the upgrade. It will have a version of Corel Draw incorporated. The only downside is that it is really, really expensive.

Comment

JoJo, I would certain be interested in some tutorials. I am going to check out Quilt University, also.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

JoJo, regarding your offer to put together a tutorial on machine embroidery... count me in. I've had my Janome 300e for many months and have yet to turn it on. I am so intimidated by all the issues of hooping, stabilizers, centering, understanding the mechanics of the machine, sizing, thread color changes, etc. etc. If you can shed any light on these topics so I can get beyond the 'fear' and start using this machine, I would really appreciate it. I have no trainers or shops nearby that offer help. I will look into Quilt University though!

I loved your initial and subsequent responses to the original issue and I am sure glad Bobbi asked it![/i]

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has responded. A lot of good information has been given and has been very helpful. I too will look at the University information and go from there.

Comment

If you view the videos on exnovodesign.com you can watch the author digitizing, manipulating, designing, changing colors, etc. She shows how to change the position of jump stitches, how to split designs, how to multi-hoop, how to manipulate the hoops in the software. I watch these videos over and over until they are part of memory and they are there free for reference in the middle of the night.

I would like to retract what I said about Bernina Software being expensive. The intial outlay may seem pricey, but given the free educational tutorials available, and the versatility, it may be a deal. It sounds like some other companies have modules that can be purchased. This is one big package. Check the price of some commercial software. Yikes. If anyone wants to know what I paid, email me.

What I really wanted to do, and am learning to do, is take royalty-free clipart (ex. Dover Publications) and make my own quilt designs and embroidery designs from it. Additionally, any TrueType Font can be digitized with this version of the software including dingbats and webdings.

I get tired of forking out the big bucks for someone else's designs especially when they are "simple" as in quilting designs or redwork.

If anyone knows other free online tutorials for using software, please post them.

Comment

What Beginning Machine Embroidery at Quilt U does is walk students through getting used to their embroidery machine. This is NoT digitizing. This is the class that just finished, but you could email Joanne Winn to ask when it will be presented again.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X