[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Metallic for through the needle

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A suggestion I read somewhere : metallic thread HEAT the needle after a certain time of sewing (metallic on metallic develop heating) : so the best is to get 2 needles and replace one by the other every half hour of constant sewing , letting the first to cool down. hope that could help somebody.
    I use Superior metallic with good results.

Comment

That's one I've never heard before, but Superior metallics are great!

Dr. Bob Purcell suggests using a TOPSTITCH needle for all threads, but especially metallics (size 90)! He calls it a "Magic Needle".

http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...ng-with-angles

http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...ece-like-a-pro

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I love to thread paint my sewing center told me always use "sewer's aid" lubricant on the thread, use #16 Jeans needle, and use a stand and lower your tension, sew slowly you shouldn't have problems & also it depends on your sewing machine. I have Quattro 2 6700D, by Brother, NO PROBLEMS. I tried with my Bernina 830 BIG PROBLEMS. Good luck

Comment

I don't like sewer's aid myself. My 830 likes superior metallic thread just fine. If i get near the end of the roll. I actually use some food grade silicone lube in the little metallic thread guide that came with the 830. if you lost it, they aren't too expensive to replace. One drop of lube is all you need in that thread guide felt pad. Don't put the lube on the spool. It'll just become a dust magnet.

I do use a titanium #90 topstitch needle though. The titanium isn't any 'stronger' as far as bending or anything. But the titanium coating helps prevent as much wearing and with metallic that means you can sew longer before the thread causes burrs and thus shredding or breaking thread. Even cotton thread in a regular needle will wear out the eye of the needle eventually. The titanium ones last probably 3x longer before you need to change them out.

With metallic if you are having a problem with shredding, try a larger size topstitch needle. Checkout superior's website in their education section on threads. Amazing amount of info there. And the info applies to any brand of thread.

Comment

I use Mettler Metallics.

My HV and Pfaff had no issues after installing metallic needle lowering tension and slowing the speed of the machine.

My Bernina had issues after about an hour the thread would break. Discussed with my Bernina rep and bought the Mettalic Thread kit and started using. No problems after that

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 56 users online. 0 members and 56 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X