[vb_main_1]

bobbin thread shows on top

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

bobbin thread shows on top

Am fairly new to embroidery by machine. I've done some pieces that look great and then I have done some that look horrible, because the bobbin thread pulls to the top throughout the design. I basically use cotton fabrics, have done a few on muslin. On the last one I used a tear away stablizer under a white cotton fabric that had star design on it. The bobbin thread showed on top through most of the project. My machine has a set upper tension for embroidery so I keep it set there. I use a sulky white bobbin thread that is marketed for bobbin embroidery work. Should I do several layers of stablizer? Adjust the tension. Luckily, its an add on piece so I didn't ruin a quilt. I do clean the machine and keep it oiled. Thanks for any advice.
    Sandi in FL

One thing that I try and keep in mind is to keep the bobbin thread color close to the top thread color. Don't use a white bobbin with navy top, for example. I also always use an iron-on stabilizer on the back and another layer of tear away. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. This might help you some!

Nancy in Western NY.

Comment

Sandi,
      There are several things you can try, but test them one at a time so you know if one helps:
      1. Rethread the machine and be sure the pressure foot is raised so the thread gets between the tension disks.
      2. Check to be sure the bobbin is put in correctly.
      3. If you can adjust the upper thread tension, lower it one number at a time until you get to a good spot.
      4. Do you wind your bobbins or use the pre-wound? Sometimes you get a pre-wound that doesn't play well with your machine.

If you can't solve the problem, take samples and the machine to your dealer and ask for help. Sometimes the machine needs a minor adjustment that the dealer can do for you.

Robbie

Comment

Sandi -- I use OESD cut-away stablizer or Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff when doing embroidery. I generally use one layer of stablizer unless I'm seeing problems with the fabric puckering around the embroidery. I also use bottom line in the bobbin. If the majority of my design is a single color I'll try to match the bobbin, but it usually isn't, so I stick with a neutral color like a grey or tan. It takes some trial and error and varies from machine, but I've found these things work well for me. Good luck. -- Deb

Comment

Sandi, I am also new to machine embroidery, and was having the same problem as you were. I must be pretty fearless, because I started tweaking with the upper tension, and couldn't get it to look to my satisfaction. So I started tweaking with the bobbin tension. It took a half turn to the right (right, tight; left loose) to get it to my satisfaction. I showed my example chart to my dealer, and he agreed that I had done the correct thing. So bottom line, even if it is fresh from the factory, it still may need some tweaking!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've been playing with it this morning trying different tips. Definitely looking better. I keep forgetting the embroidery police are not gonna come get me if I don't follow the 'book' :lol: Thanks again. Sandi in FL

Comment

For my machine I bought a new bobbin case with a pig tail it helps with the tension.

Comment

Hi, I am not an expert but this happened to me. I have a Bernina so make sure if you have one that you thread the thread through the finger of the bobbin case, plus as others have mentioned, make sure thread through discs on top as the thread could be catching somewhere and pulling bobbin thread up. Finally, I changed my needle to a smaller one, someone suggested that if the needle was too big and making a big hole, it allows the thread an easy path up to the top!!! :? Hope that helps,
                Lynn in sunny UK

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X