[vb_main_1]

Using Bottom Line for machine applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Bottom Line for machine applique

I heard some people at Quilt Festival talking about use of Bottom Line "on top" and I think there was a topic on TQS forum here talking about using it on top......so I stopped Bob the Thread Guy in Houston and asked about it and he said many, many, many people are using it instead of silk for machine quilting because it just kind of melts into the fabric. It is for this reason that they have not produced silk thread because Bottom Line looks so great in that application - and it's so much less expensive than silk.

Lynn

Hi Lynne --

I like it for doing micro stippling in small areas. I usually prefer quilting with a heavier polyester or rayon, but bottom line is perfect is you don't want all that bulk. It's also much more durable than silk... less breakage. Amen to that! 00 Deb

Comment

I also saw this in the forum and decided to try it. I have a problem with the tension. No matter what I do, the top thread is too tight. Any suggestions???? I have not problem changing tension for other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by cjbeg
        I also saw this in the forum and decided to try it. I have a problem with the tension. No matter what I do, the top thread is too tight. Any suggestions???? I have not problem changing tension for other threads.
        I am waiting to hear the answer to this. It works fine in my Viking but on the Bernina--I have the same problem. I am also confused by the markings on the top tension on the Bernina. All the numbers have a minus sign in front of them so I don't know if I am tightening or loosening. Anyway, I am considering adjusting the bobbin case and see if this helps but I am waiting for one of you wonderful folks to help us out. I have two project to finish before Christmas so---please, help fast!

Comment

I do most of my quilting on my George machine and it works fine, but I haven't tried it on my Bernina. Have you tried skipping the last last thread guide?

Comment

I've used bottom line in the top as well as in the bobbin for quilting on my 1630 Bernina and it worked fine. . . .I also used the bottom line in the top and a 50 wt cotton thread in the bobbin.. . that worked fine too. . .I may have adjusted the tension--it was over a year ago that I used it. I used a small needle. . .like a size 6?/8 or 70/10 sharp. Sorry I can't be of more help. Terry

Comment

I'm the one who said "give it a try" a few weeks ago. I have a Bernina 630. I didn't have a tension problem at all. As I said before I used BottomLine as the top thread with several different techniques. My top tension is at the red line which is about 4. The bobbin tension is factory set. The only other thing is that I use the multiple spool holder to allow the thread to feed into the machine from above. I use that attachment all the time and I have less breakage with any thread. I used a #14 titanium embroidery needle. I don't know if this info helps at all.

I just finshed the quilt and will post the photos in the Members Blog after it is washed to remove all the marks. I will try to get some photos to show the quilting.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

I am also confused by the markings on the top tension on the Bernina. All the numbers have a minus sign in front of them so I don't know if I am tightening or loosening.
                I don't know about the minus sign.....the adjustable red line is normally set at 5 for regular sewing. Moving the red line to a larger number is setting it for tighter tension....moving the red line to smaller number is loosening the tension.

You should probably try setting tension on about 1 or 2. Don't thread the bobbin finger on your bobbin thread. Use a separate thread stand.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You might try posting on the Bernina thread about your tension issue.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 84 users online. 0 members and 84 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X