[vb_main_1]

Recommendations for a Spiral embroidery design needed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mary Kay,

I'm glad that you liked the marquetry designs. Since you did, I thought you might also like and get inspiration from Moroccan plate designs. Years ago, when I saw some of these beautiful plates, I thought that one day I would make a quilt inspired by one of them. Here's just one of many websites where you can see some:
    http://www.treasuresofmorocco.com/ce...=2&sort=2a

Enjoy,
    Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
      Hi Mary Kay,

I'm glad that you liked the marquetry designs. Since you did, I thought you might also like and get inspiration from Moroccan plate designs. Years ago, when I saw some of these beautiful plates, I thought that one day I would make a quilt inspired by one of them. Here's just one of many websites where you can see some:
      http://www.treasuresofmorocco.com/ce...=2&sort=2a

Enjoy,
      Nancy
      WOW! Fabulous!!! :!: :!: Those are definately insirparation! Thanks for pointing them out!

Mary Kay

Comment

Mary Kay,

Did you find a lot of errors in the Bella book? I was reading online and many folks commented on the numerous errors in the book. It made me shy away from purchasing the book. I thought I would ask you because you have mastered the technique with your beautiful quilt.

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

JoJo - Yes, unfortunately there are lots of confusing directions. I took a class at my LQS for the Bella quilt and the teacher was telling us that the author is not a quilter by trade - so good intentions, but not great quilt instructions.

As an example of the lacking directions, they provide templates in the book, but forget to tell you to add a quarter inch for the seam. Or Florence (a TQS member) was working on another pattern within the book and they recommend avoiding bias edges on the borded, but then the instructions for the 1/4 or 1/2 square triangles essentially have the bias edge exposed (Florence was finguring out what size squares to cut into triangles to avoid the bias edge (as the directions pointed her the wrong way).

I would still recommend making a Bella! The book has enough good information that if you apply your knowledge and experience as a quilter, you can work your way through it. The pattern that I am making is the Venice Rose, and I am sure that other folks have made other patterns in the book. I would be happy to share the instructions that my teacher shared, which may shore up what you are reading in the book. I am sure other quilters on this site would also lend any advice that they have regarding pattern within the book that have experience with.

There are paper piece templates (to compliment the book) also available for purchase which made it very easy for me to assemble the quilt. Those were all ready to go for me so that made it a lot easier too.

And taking the Bella class at the LQS was a great move! The teacher guided us through the confusion.... and looking back, I realize how much frustration she helped me avoid.

Hope you go for it, if this is a quilt you want to make!!!! It is worth it!

Mary Kay

Comment

What is a Bella quilt/bella book?

Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia -

The book that I got the "Bella" pattern from is "Bella Bella Quilts, Stunning Designs from Italian Mosaics" written by Norah McMeeking. The book does contain templates that can be copied/traced to make a complete set of foundation pieces for a complete quilt. She also has a pre made set of paper foundations that can be separately purchased to go with a number of quilts in her book.

Here is the link to the book on Amazon.com -

http://www.amazon.com/Bella-Quilts-S...835&amp;sr=8-1

If you enjoy paper piecing, it's a fun quilt to make.

Mary Kay

Comment

Thank you I will check it out. Sounds interesting!
                Sylvia

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 90 users online. 0 members and 90 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X