[vb_main_1]

Trilobal polyester vs rayon

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trilobal polyester vs rayon

I am seeking some advice on using high sheen trilobal polyester instead of rayon for decorative and machine embroidery work. I am not happy with the performance of rayon thread available to me. I would have to order the polyester, so am seeking guidance.

First, I would like to know your opinions and experience with the product.

Second, since I have to order a supply online, which colors do you find most useful to have on hand?

Thanks in advance
    Libbi

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Libbi, try contacting Bob from Superior threads. He can probably answer all your questions. There is a spot on the opening page of this site that will take you to the Superior Threads site.

Comment

Ritzy, I have contacted Bob in the past and he has been very helpful. I received an order from Superior based on his recommendations and some other selections that looked interesting. Too bad I didn't think about trilobal then.

Now I just wanted to get some thoughts from TQS members who may have used trilobal polyester.

Threads are just as addictive as fabrics! :lol:

Comment

Hi Libbi,

I use trilobal frequently and haven't noticed any difference in the way it works in the sewing machines (3 Janome and a Brother).

As always, keeping the bobbin casing free from thread lint is important—and I always use a brush to remove the lint, rather than canned air.

Beth Wheeler

Comment

Hi Libbi,

I have used the trilobal polyester and liked it a lot. The only problem I encountered was in securing the beginning & ending stitching. In some cases, 6-8 tiny stitches were not enough to hold the threads and they came loose. I did read somewhere, don't remember where, that it is best to pull the threads to the back & work into the quilt. It does not need to be tied, only left longer and not cut real close. I use the self-threading needle and it does go quite fast but it is an extra step.

Otherwise, I found it easy to work with and looks great on my quilts.

Sandy in Phoenix

Comment

Thanks for the info. I actually found Mettler Polysheen by accident when looking for varigated thread. The Bernina dealer in Lausanne carries a large selection of thread but little fabric. His prices are even reasonable I'm starting my collection.

You're right about the first stitches and I do leave the tails a bit longer then bury them.

I like working with trilobal much better than rayon.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 72 users online. 0 members and 72 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X