[vb_main_1]

New Coats and Clark thread - VERY good!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coats and Clark thread - VERY good!

I have never been happy with Coats and Clarks thread because it was so "linty" and uneven in thickness. In my opinion, the only thing it had going for it was the number of colors in which it was available and the fact that I could purchase it at Joann's, which had more accessible hours.

But Coats and Clark has obviously gotten a new manufacturer or a new process, because this new thread is VERY good! It comes on spools which are obviously different and is clearly more uniform and less linty.

I just got done quilting a quilt with some of it and had NO thread breakage and almost NO lint whatsoever. Frankly, I would say that I had better luck with it than with the Mettler thread I typically use.

In short - give it a try! You will definitely find it a huge improvement over the old stuff.

BethMI

My LQS hates Coats and Clark and really campaigns against it. I am open to anything as long as it works. I've been happy with the Connecting Threads thread. They are my work horses. I will pick up the finer threads for special projects and if I won the 500$ Superior threads gift card, I would think I died and went to Heaven. Gloria

Comment

somebody at Coats and Clark has been watching their competition especially Superior Threads because their new spool has a lid that lifts up (not sure if it comes clear off but even a space helps) to hook the end of the thread in. When I explained that to the thread person at a JoAnn's in Minnesota, she was amazed. Apparently Coats and Clark introduced the new idea but didn't let their distibutors and retail merchants know about it . All the woman in the store knew was that she was going to have to buy a new display and that she didn't know what she would do with the old thread. Hope they have gotten smarter in the past six months to fix that problem but who knows

Ann in Elgin Illinois for now "Home is still where we park it"

Comment

Coats and Clarks did not just upgrade the spool. The actual thread is much better. Try it, you'll like it.

My favorite before was Mettler silk-finish. I would now use Coats and Clarks interchangeably. Both are very good.

And for the person whose LQS campaigns against it, that was probably based on the old line of thread, which was awful. This is much better - and it still comes in all those luscious colors.

BethMI

Comment

I just used a "new" coats/clark thread for hand applique (found the right color!) and was amazed at how seldom it got knotted! Some of the pricey cotton threads are really bad about that. But I still need to try some of the Superior threads to compare them, too.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I work at JoAnn's in Rochester, NY and we WERE told that it's a new "formula" and the spool is better too. I am also happy with it so far.

I recently did another quilt myself on a rented long-arm and used King Tut. The quilt is all batiks, purple, teal, turquoise, pink, orange and the thread is blue, purple, green with the color changing every couple of inches and it turned out GORGEOUS! I only find the King Tut Superior thread at a shop 2 hours away and so I stock up when I'm there about twice a year. Definitely worth the little bit extra $.

Comment

I just got back from the Ricky Tims Super Seminar in Glens Falls where Bob the Thread Guy from Superior Threads gave a super presentation. He gave out some hand outs that addressed all kinds of generic thread problems and solutions. Of course, there was also a handout regarding all the various Superior Threads and their uses. You could probably get a copy of the handouts through the Superior Threads website http://www.superiorthreads.com. The information was definitely "superior" and very helpful in assessing what is a good thread and what is not.

Comment

Ditto, Louise.
                eileenkny 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 260 users online. 0 members and 260 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X