[vb_main_1]

Will beading cover my oops?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will beading cover my oops?

I am in the middle of an applique quilt and screwed up? I cut too much away to properly applique it down. I was wondering if I put down a beaded edge where it should be appliqued, would that cover my mistake? I honestly don't know why I recut the fabric after I had originally cut it. There is a lot to fix and I really don't want to start over and waste this fabric. Any suggestions? Rachel

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Rachel, before anybody can make a suggestion, we would really need to see the quilt. My first thought was 'Maybe bias strips - like doing a leade glass window effect - might do it.' But that could be totally wrong. Could you take a picture of the problem area and upload it into your profile for a little while?

Lorchen
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

This isn't a mistake. It is an" embellishment opportunity." :lol: I have put beads or have couched my mistake with fancy yarn or even appliqued something different, but as Lorchen said, post a picture of your block. Judy in AZ (currently in York, PA)

Comment

The photo is posted on my profile. It is the one with the blue roses. I was hoping to have it done by Mothers day. I know I am unrealistic. Initially I wanted to make it bigger but then I realized that in doing so it would ruin the effect of the whole quilt. When I was cutting out the roses I was helping the kids with their homework at the same time. I have about an eighth of an edge around the roses in most parts but in some parts I have less. I know not good. Rachel ops:

Comment

Rachel what about doing raw edge machine applique? If you used fray check on your roses to keep the edges from fraying and then used a blanket stitch with a blending thread - one of the variagateds in the color of the roses would blend in nicely. (to avoid the applique bunching up etc I would cut a circle of fusible web smaller than your rose and fuse that to the back of the rose and then fuse the rose in place. that would hold it in place and save you the time and agravation of cutting fusible away from the complex shape of the rose and you wouldn't be doing your applique right through the fusible. )

After you had finished that if you still think it needs a little sparkle, couch a prestrung string of seed beads around the edge of the flower or use some of the fusible Swarowski (spelling is off) crystals where you need a little "coverup" They come in lots of colors and are apparently easy to use - a little expensive though- but this is a special quilt and is probably worth it. (dlquilter bought some in Paducah so could give you the information on them)

there were some great beading tips in Cindy Needham's episode this season. Love it !

Just remember there are no mistakes in quilting - just alternative design decisions that are usually happy accidents. good luck - you have a lucky Mom to have all this effort put into a gift for her.

Ann - who will be traveling tomorrow and will get to spend part of Mother's Day with dd and dgd whoo hoo doesn't happen every year.

Comment

Ann, you are a creative genius! Lots of opportunities there! Just take your pick, Rachael.
            Lynn

Comment

Thank you everyone. It took me forever to find where I posted this question. LOL when I clicked on this sight the last time the power went out at the same time so the block wasn't red. So when it came back on I thought I had already read this sight :P Ok yep I am losing it here in Franklinville. Actually I was starting to wonder if I actually posted the question or if I just had a dream about doing it :?: :!: Rachel Who thinks maybe the aliens have taken her brain

Comment

Rachel--If you catch up with the aliens and find your brain would you take a look around for mine? It'll be the one with roulette and craps payouts buzzing around it!
                Thanx! :?
                Sherry

Comment

I'll do my best but I think that they stopped at the Joanns store that I was at the other day. This lady and I bought the same fabric them I walked out with her cart. Sooo I got her stuff and she got mine. Needless to say she has my heavy durabond stuff and I have her fusable interfacing. This is why I do not take my kids with me when I go to Joanns. Now there is no way I can get this quilt done before Mother's day. I AM AN IDIOT!!!! The good news is we got the same amount of fabric. Rachel Who is losing it in NY

Comment

Ok I think I have a solution I found light durabond among my stash. I have no idea how old it is or where it came from . But I was hoping to have this done. That lady is probably at home right now thinking WHAT THE HECK??? I know I was. Then I figured it out. It was like we were following each other. She had 3 yearold twins (cute but I did not envy her). Oh well I will keep you posted about my progress. Rachel

Comment

as a mother of twins I can tell you she's probably got the same brain issues that you do!! She may never even notice it's not the right stuff! I was so sick my whole pregnancy I could barely eat, after they were born nice & healthy I decided they thrived off of my brain cells which was the best answer for where they had gone, never to be seen or heard from again! :lol: :roll:

Comment

I hate to tell you this Rachel, but it won't get any better when they grow up :evil: But the looks they'll give you when you don't remember something will definitely make you want to jump on them :lol:
                        I have that darn Boy Scout quilt that I'm working on. I bought the border fabric at JoAnns(first mistake), pieced the borders, it looked fine. Put it on the longarm, tightened it up and a flaw in the fabric popped up. It looked like a knot and when I rubbed my finger over it, a white spot showed up. What the................................?!? So I've been agonizing over this. It's not centered, that would be too easy. Then... :idea: :idea: !!! I'll attach some Boy Scout badges over the flaw and in a couple of other places.
                        If I hadn't read this thread, the idea would never have come. Thank you Rachel for starting and thank you Ann for your creativity.
                        eileenkny 8)

Comment

I was just going to say a boyscout quilt with a knot!!! What are the chances of that :?: :!: I am glad that you came up with the badge and patch idea. That is what I would have done. I Think Mom's quilt will be done after all but it will be late tomarow. There was very little addhesive left over, but I got everything stitched down so if it gets washed it won't fall apart. I embellished with some very thin silver ribbon that the lady with the twins had among her stuff. Just enough with 2 feet left over. My neice bought me some seed beads (the right color blue). She is so sweet. We have just started her first quilt. A log cabin that looks like stairs. I can't remember the name right off hand. But the main block has a big center, then you only do the log cabin bit around the 2 sides in dark colors or light colors. Then you alternate them as you build the stairs. I don't know if I am explaining it right but you folks are bright and you probably know what I am talking about better then I do. :P Any way if I don't check in by Mother's Day here's hoping you all have the very best ever. Rachel

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 27 users online. 0 members and 27 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X