[vb_main_1]

Mystery Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Thread

Have found some thread in my basket that I can't identify, would appreciate any help. It is Molnlycke (Tvattakta)and Molnlycke (Spunsyntet). Does anyone know if these are polyester or cotton?

Originally posted by KirbyMc
    Have found some thread in my basket that I can't identify, would appreciate any help. It is Molnlycke (Tvattakta)and Molnlycke (Spunsyntet). Does anyone know if these are polyester or cotton?
    Tvattakta means it will keep its color when washed but i do not know if its poly or cotton. The thread marked Spunsyntet is polyester. I can see if I can find information on the Tvattakta :wink:
    The thread is swedish..... :shock:

Comment

We love our thread dont we...here is a greate adress you can check out the difference in a variety of thread brands:
      http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm

Comment

Thanks Brink.

Comment

Back at my appartment I dove right into my threadspols :lol:
          I have 3 kinds of Molnlycke; Tvattakta, Spunsyntet and Cotton. By the way they have marked their thread I would treat Tvattakta as a poly too. I have seached online for the correct information for you, but I couldnt find anything. I guess if Tvattakta was a cotton too it would say so.... :shock: :wink: :lol:

Comment

You know the burning test you can do to test fabric? I wonder if you could do the same test with a piece of the thread. Than might tell you if it is cotton or poly.

Comment

Ritzy I'm guessing yes, since I once used a hot iron on a piece done w/ Bottom Line and-- oops ops: it fell apart where the thread melted... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by florence
                Ritzy I'm guessing yes, since I once used a hot iron on a piece done w/ Bottom Line and-- oops ops: it fell apart where the thread melted... :roll:
                omigosh! that's good to know..I've fallen in love with bottom line thread!
                I steam press like there's no tomorrow...I'd better do some test samples.

Comment

That's a great link Brink! Thanks.

I have been looking at threads available here in UK and read on a site where I buy quite a bit from that one of the threads they sell, an Aurifil cotton says, 'Washing and cleaning advice - these threads may be washed gently up to a maximum of 60C degrees and ironed on a medium setting of 2 dots - 150C. They should not be tumble dried in warm air. They should not be washed in chlorine. They may be cleaned with tetrachloroetylene, monofluoro, trichlorometano and hydrocarbon.'

Eek! There is so much more to this than meets the eye! Can you imagine making something that has to be washed loads at a good temperature and probably thrown in the dryer, baby stuff for example, to watch it disintegrate after a while!

Comment

Does Bottom Line really melt with a hot iron? This doesn't seem possible with all of the testing they do. I wonder if Superior Bob knows about this. I'm sure he will now if he reads this stuff. Judy in AZ

Comment

I use Bottom Line all the time and I have not noticed a problem and I set my iron at the cotton setting. If there is a problem I would like to know about it.

Comment

I use aurifil cotton regularly and have never had any problems with it. I use a hot iron on it and it's been through the washer and dryer many times. Since I seldomly use bleach on anything I don't know how it would hold up.

Comment

I bought a small spool of Molnlycke thread years ago--I paid 75 cents for it! It's polyester. The spool says Fresno, CA, USA on the end with the number of probably the color and the name of Molnlycke. The other end has the price, 110m and 120 yd, polyester and Wright's. I assume Wright's was the distributor in the US. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Hi retiredgrandma, perhaps, in this day and age, they are just covering their backs against all eventualities!! I like the look of the Aurifils so far and I'm looking forward to putting a few meters through the machine.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 183 users online. 0 members and 183 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X