[vb_main_1]

Angelina Fibers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angelina Fibers

Ohhhhh.... I have been lusting from afar and today I bought 3 collections of the Angelina "crimped" fibers..... lovely irridescent colors..... Would love to hear how others have used them in their work and what they thought of using them.

Gosh, I don't think I've heard of Angelina crimped fibers before - what are these? I love the regular Angelina - thank goodness a little bit goes a long way because it's waaaaayyyy too much fun to play with.

For regular Angelina fibers I've found that a medium to low heat works best and a very quick iron. One of my new favorite ways to use it is with Misty Fuse - and to layer different things with it - ooh lala Enjoy!

If you find great techniques please share with us!

Comment

The "crimped" fibers have a crimped or wavy look about them out of the package. I was told they give an even more irridescent look to the project.

Comment

I just bought a book "FUSING FABRIC" by Magaret Beal. The basic concept is using a soldering iron to melt synthetic fabric together in the most interesting ways. I have purchased the iron and the suggested fabrics and dug out my respirator (dangerous fumes). Now all I need is the time to set up out side and go to it.
        The book showes the most intricate cutwork and amazing color blends using see-thru fabrics. I can't wait to give it a try. Ann that's two. Betty Ann

Comment

Bettyann; sounds very interesting. Post pics, okay?! :lol:
          Jan in would you believe it's snowing Spokane

Comment

Originally posted by bettyannseeman
            I just bought a book "FUSING FABRIC" by Magaret Beal. The basic concept is using a soldering iron to melt synthetic fabric together in the most interesting ways. I have purchased the iron and the suggested fabrics and dug out my respirator (dangerous fumes). Now all I need is the time to set up out side and go to it.
            The book showes the most intricate cutwork and amazing color blends using see-thru fabrics. I can't wait to give it a try. Ann that's two. Betty Ann
            I recently got the Fusing Fabric book too. It is fascinating and gorgeous. I too have all the "stuff" needed except time and I'm not sure if the respirator mask I have is the right kind for that. I would love to hear what you do with it when you find the time. 8)
            Kathy

Comment

Wow, I'll have to look for the crimped variety. Is it the heat bondable type or the stable type? I made the central applique of the star-birthing region in my Stellar Nursery (on my profile) using the regular stuff. I'll really be interested to see what you do with the crimped fibers.

I'm planning several more deep space quilts, but am taking some time to improve some of my other techniques right now.

What is Misty Fuse?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Have used both straight and crimped Angelina fibers. I have a rhapsody quilt in my profile that most of the applique is bonded Angelina.
                Couple things I have discovered working with them.
                Both crimped and straight hold together after heat bonding, but it is a delicate bond that can 'unhold' if too much handling happens to the quilt. This make them best for quilts which will not get alot of handling (i.e. wall quilts)
                I fuse mine between sheets of tracing paper. The reason I do this is;
                1. I can see the size and shape of my patch (in case it 'smooshes' the wrong size during bonding with heat.
                2. The colors of the fibers are heat sensitive and will lose or change color if over heated, so I want my heat to hit and fuse them quickly and not linger.
                I experimented with extra bonding agent (steam a steam) in the mix and did not like the outcome...changed the interference color response.
                I love how Angelina catches the light and reflects the interference color when the light source changes. It is like you get two quilts for one.

Comment

I did find to my chagrin that not all Angelina fibers are heat bondable. When I was making my Stellar Nursery, I wanted some deep color reds and a few other deeper colors, but was only able to find those in the type that doesn't heat bond, so I ended up trying some bonding powders, which I didn't like. In the end, I used the crystal over the reds in a very very thin layer that held them in place long enough to get the black veil over them and quilt them down. Now they are pretty secure. I suggest a bridal veiling over your fibers if it doesn't interfere with your design. The black seemed to simply disappear.

Comment

You can use some of the heat bondable fibres with the non bondable ones, just pull them together so that they blend. It works great. Another good book specifically about Angelina is 'Between the Sheets with Angelina' by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden. Maggi.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 231 users online. 0 members and 231 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X