[vb_main_1]

HST embroidery design--Half Square Triangles

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HST embroidery design--Half Square Triangles

I know that somewhere I've seen an embroidery file that would do a continuous stitching line that produced multiple HSTS in a single hooping. Does anyone else remember seeing this--and can tell me where to find it? Thanks!

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Originally posted by DebZa
    I know that somewhere I've seen an embroidery file that would do a continuous stitching line that produced multiple HSTS in a single hooping. Does anyone else remember seeing this--and can tell me where to find it? Thanks!
    Boy, I can't help you :cry: , I don't even know what HSTS is :? .

Comment

Originally posted by DebZa
      Boy, I can't help you :cry: , I don't even know what HSTS is :? .

Comment

Could that be "half square triangles"?

Louisa
        SE OK

Comment

Yes, sorry about that. Half Square Triangles. I know I've seen it--and it seems like it might have been on one of Alex's shows.

Comment

Hi DebZa!

While we are waiting for the person who can give us the info, could you describe how it works? Is this to mark the fabric for cutting (like you do for applique)? Or is this for piecing in the hoop? Mini quilts? Red work? quilting design? I am interested in knowing a bit more about this as I have never heard of it. You dangled some sweet bait!

There are tons (ops: well, almost) of questions piling up in my mind, but I will wait....

Louisa
            SE OK

Comment

OK, I'll try to describe it!

You know the paper templates that you can buy/print out that you layer your two fabrics right sides together, put the paper on top, and then start at one corner, and by turning right and left, in a continuous line of stitching, make HSTs? It kind of looks like you've stitched double lines making squares on point on the paper, but when you cut on the lines, you have all these perfect little half-square triangles.

Well, this was a digitized embroidery design that did this in the hoop--you hooped the fabrics together, and it stitched away, and when it was done, you cut them out and had them all nice and neat.

I figured I could get a lot of them done, then work on piecing them together for the design. Not sure what size the HSTs would be, or if there were different patterns for them.

If I hear of who has them, I'll be sure to post it--because it would work on any embroidery machine, I believe.

Comment

Hello, This may be a little off topic, however there is a product called Triangles on A Roll that does the continuos line HST. There's another that is prepared on a standard sheet of paper and it is sold by packs of 10, I believe. I hope this helps. you can google the term and the links should come up.

Lissette

Comment

I know there was a product out there as well that used a computer program to print sewing and cutting lines directly on fabric that had been mounted on paper (either purchased or self prepared with freezer paper) but I can't remember right off what the name of that product was. I know I read about it on this forum months ago and I went to the website and watched their video. Maybe that would work for you??? I'll look and see if I can find that again so I can give you the name.

Comment

Mandy, I believe that Inklingo is what you're thinking of. There's also a program called Triangulations that you can use to print them on paper.

I would be very interested in the embroidery design if you can find it. I think it would be great to just let that machine stitch away while I worked on something else.

Chelley

Comment

Triangulations sounds like neat software program for anyone planning on doing a lot of half square triangles! I have recently tried paper piecing for the first time (proof in my profile pic) and loved it.

However, I did find an interesting technique on an old SQ program that might be nice if you are doing just a few or a one time thing. Alex was explaining to a gentleman (remember the questions segment at the end of the program?) how to keep those little triangle corners from wiggling, and then in the space of 1 1/2 mins, she demonstrated a technique she said she learned in a Marsha McCloskey (sp?) workshop.

Briefly:

She took two squares, one light, one dark, of fabric (probably about 8 in. sq, but I suppose it could be any size), stacked them, and then cut a diagonal through both squares.

Then she cut strips 2 in. wide out from the diagonal. (The width you would adjust according to your needs, and I suppose drawing on paper would clinch it for you).

Those strips she then sewed together so it looked like (light & dark) striped fabric. Then she put the 45 degree line on one seam and cut two-inch strips the other way. Those looked like candy stripes or a barber pole. (Now me, I would Magic-size the daylights out of the fabric first and then maybe even use the walking foot to deal with those bias edges!)

Then she (said to) cut the little squares out of those strips, and they would be perfect half square triangles.

I spent a little time drawing it out on paper to "see" what was happening even though I could rewind to my heart's content, and it looks like a neat trick.

Now, if you ever find that embroidery file, I want to know about it too!

Louisa
                      SE OK

Comment

Still looking for it--and all the above suggestions are on the right track. The Thangles paper, and the Triangulations--and I know there is a template you can get to mark your fabric to do the continuous line sewing for the HSTs.

Someday--I WILL find that embroidery design for this--or I'll get so frustrated I'll try to do it myself (now that would be a disaster in the making!).

Comment

Okay, so I'm a bit bored, and have been reading OLD posts.

Did any one ever find this "embroidery design" to create HST in the hoop?? Sounds interesting, but depending on your hoop size, I would think doing it other ways would be better. I just watched, Sharon Schambers videos on YouTube showing how to make HST with out paper piecing or drawing on your fabric. And I have the Triangulations CD, although I haven't made any HST since I got it. I need to design a quilt using some HST just so I can try both methods and see which one I like best.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 315 users online. 0 members and 315 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X