[vb_main_1]

Rayon thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rayon thread

I have rayon thread that won't behave. Help. It always looks like I haven't cut my threads. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ritzy

I don't know the answer, but I can't believe noone answered this post! I may go on quiltinaday.com to ask the question there. My quilt teacher said she uses Sulky rayon thread to quilt her art quilts. Maybe she has an answer. Jan

Comment

Ritzy,
      What do you mean by it looking like you haven't cut your thread? Is it shredding on you?
      eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Ritzy,

I have quilted with rayon thread before and had a problem with the thread unlocking and the ends shredding. Somewhere I read that when you use rayon thread you need to bury the threads before trimming. I now do that and have not had the problem. It does take extra time but at least you don't have the loose thread problem. I use the self-threading needles and it goes pretty fast.

Sandy in Phoenix

Comment

I had taken a quilt to the fair and she said "You need to clip your threads closer"; well, dog gone it--I had. They just seem to loosen up and show out the top. I have since started leaving long ends and, using a square knot, tie them off and then burying the threads. Thanks for the answers ladies!

Comment

I noticed after I bought the self threading needles that when using them with 'rayon' specifically (Sulky) the thread often broke when trying to pop it into the eye.

Anybody else have that trouble?

Lynn

Comment

Lynn,

Yes, absolutely have the same problem. Also have the problem when trying to do Ricky's stopping technique that calls for pulling out a loop of thread and taking a stitch in the same hole to bring up the bobbin thread. :evil: Just don't like working with the stuff.

Libbi

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Rayon & Poly thread don't have the grip factor that cotton does and that is why it comes loose. I was taught to tie off and bury and then Ricky affirmed this in a previous episode when he stated that when using "slippery thread" he sometimes has to tie it off and bury the tails.

TTFN & Happy Quilting

Comment

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy, on-line, individual spools of Madeira Rayon threads? I use them with my embroidery attachment and have quite a few colors I need. The original drawer set I got, the people don't sell the spools individually.

Appreciate any help someone can give.

Comment

Have you tried Nancy's Notions? I know she used to carry Madeira Rayon..Just checked still available. I'm not sure if superior thread carries Madeira rayon or not, but that is another site to try.

Comment

Joann.com carries individual spools of Madeira rayon.

Comment

Thank you all. I searched at Joann.com, maybe I didn't do a good enough job at it. I'll give Nancy's notions a try.

Don't you just love this site!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 84 users online. 0 members and 84 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X