[vb_main_1]

New to Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Embroidery

I never thought I'd "need" an embroidery machine until I saw a quilt with Hummel designs. I saw the Hummel design kits at a Village Sew n Vac, and they have new machines. Now I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one. Where is a good place to start my research?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I think the best approach is to first visit every dealer you can, and find out as much as you can about each brand. Establish your price range, then compare different manufacturer's in that range. There is no "best". You will find that a particular machine or brand "speaks" to you, and that is the one you should choose.

For me, it happens to be Bernina's. My 2nd choice would be Viking. But everyone has their own preference. Once you think you've narrowed it down, at least to a price range and brand you think you like, then start asking questions of owner's that have those models.

Comment

Thanx cj! I get to wander around in shops. Very fun! DH or DS aren't interested, so I'll get to do it by myself. Awesome!
      Sherry

Comment

It will be fun Sherry :lol: Take your time, pick the brains of the dealer's, and get them to demo everything and anything. You will learn a lot just by seeing the different styles and techniques demonstrated. You'll also get a great feel for the dealer most likely to offer you the best support after the sale.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ipquilter
          I never thought I'd "need" an embroidery machine until I saw a quilt with Hummel designs.
          I purchased the first Hummel design set at my Pfaff dealer, at least a year ago, and still haven't managed to sew any of them out. I did finally find some fabric to use a backround for them to put them into a quilt. That project is on my list of things to do. I may start embroiderying those out on one machine, while I'm sewing blocks together for another quilt on my other machine. I did purchase extra thread to make sure I had plenty of thread to sew out a number of the designs.

Diane

Comment

Diane, I did something similar last weekend. I had my embroidery machine going on one project while I was chain piecing another. I found myself stitching as fast as I could to keep up with the tempo set by the embroidery machine. It was such a great feeling! I was getting stuff DONE!

Have fun!
            Chelley

Comment

Like Ann has asked, I am doing my four posts. I would like to know if anyone knows of an embroidery retreat. I just bought a Pfaff Creative Vision and I would love a week long retreat to get me up and rolling with use of an embroidery machine and to learn the basics of digitizing. I can get instruction two hours at a time from my local dealer but I want to get the input in a hurry and get off and running. Betty Ann

Comment

mornin Sherry: I have the series of Hummell, I have made a blanket using the first cd, pillows using the second, fireplace mantel cover using the third. I fell in love with the figures, and my mother-in-law is a collector. I have an older ellagio from babylock. For me it was the easiest to use, I also own a pfaff 7570, but that was a bear to use. Good luck.
                Living Threads
                http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X