[vb_main_1]

Nylon Invisible Thread vs Polyester Invisibe Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nylon Invisible Thread vs Polyester Invisibe Thread

I'm confused :? , which is probably a terminal state :lol: . I'm working on a denim and flannel quilt and I will be using invisible thread for stitch in the ditch. Do I use poly or nylon invisible thread? Harriet Hargrave suggest nylon only. I need some words of wisdom from all you pros out there.
    Thanks, Judy

Has anyone heard that these threads are deteriorating with age? I thought I had read that they're becoming brittle after only a few years, especially when exposed to sunlight. If that's the case, what a shame considering how popular they are!

Comment

Nylon melts at a lower temperature than polyester, so it is dangerous to iron anything that is quilted with nylon thread. Bob Purcell at Superior Threads recommends using polyester. I think you can't go wrong with his recommendation.

Good luck.

Tani

Comment

Originally posted by Mamer54
        I'm confused :? , which is probably a terminal state :lol: . I'm working on a denim and flannel quilt and I will be using invisible thread for stitch in the ditch. Do I use poly or nylon invisible thread? Harriet Hargrave suggest nylon only. I need some words of wisdom from all you pros out there.
        Thanks, Judy
        mamer, why use invisible thread on such a rugged quilt? if you're stitching in the ditch a cotton would be hidden just as well and in my opinion, hold up better.

Comment

Originally posted by TaniB
          Nylon melts at a lower temperature than polyester, so it is dangerous to iron anything that is quilted with nylon thread. Bob Purcell at Superior Threads recommends using polyester. I think you can't go wrong with his recommendation.

Good luck.

Tani
          Tani, thanks for your reply. I did some reading and searching and found out the difference. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by lwiniger
            Originally posted by Mamer54
            Thanks, Judy
            mamer, why use invisible thread on such a rugged quilt? if you're stitching in the ditch a cotton would be hidden just as well and in my opinion, hold up better.
            lwiniger, thanks for you reply! I used the poly to stitch in the ditch just to stabilize the quilt so I could do machine stippling. For the stippling I used the YLI Jeans variegated thread and Bottom line for the bobbin and it has worked out very well. I thought about using cotton to stitch in the ditch but didn't know if I should or could. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Is monofilament nylon? Does it break down? How do you work with it? I was told to use a metallic needle. HELP, Jan

Comment

Originally posted by drj2athome
                Is monofilament nylon? Does it break down? How do you work with it? I was told to use a metallic needle. HELP, Jan
                I don't have an answer for you but if you contact Bob--the thread guy, I bet he could tell you! Or even Mother Superior.

Comment

Who are Bob the thread guy and Mother Superior? /thanks, Jan

Comment

I just went to Superior threads and their MonoPoly is polyester invisible thread. Hope I can find some. I may be able to find it online. JAN

Comment

I mispoke so erased to avoid misleading anyone - besides myself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :?:

Comment

Originally posted by TaniB

Good luck.

Tani
                        Yeah, I agree with considering Bob at Superior to be the guru! Interesting.

I have ironed my quilting done so far with Sew-Art Nylon and it is just fine as near as I can tell.

Thanks for that info. Bears getting more info, that's for sure.

Comment

I heard that Caryl Fallert used nylon monofilament for years, and you don't hear of her quilts falling apart!

I suspect that hard wear and exposure to sunlight will kill either one.

I always use clear polyester now that it is available, but I suspect there is not as much difference as people suspect.

Who irons quilts much, anyway? Maybe while under construction while you are putting on the binding, then not much.

Either one is kind of a pain because you can't see the darn thread while you are quilting! That being said, I do use it in the bobbin when I am quilting over labels and I don't want railroad tracks over my beautiful label.

BethMI

Comment

Originally posted by drj2athome
                            Who are Bob the thread guy and Mother Superior? /thanks, Jan
                            I am sorry. I should have been more specific. Bob and Mother Superior are the folks who bring us those wonderful threads at Superior Threads.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 159 users online. 0 members and 159 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X