[vb_main_1]

breakage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

breakage

I want to use mteallic thread in the convoy qquilt I am making for this years event but need to place the guidelines for the quilting on the top. I have always had to put the thread in the bobbin and quilt from the back so I'm not stopping and atarting all the time because the thread breaks.
    I would love to hear others tips on what they do to keep the thread from breaking.

Linda
    Living Threads
    http://www.livingthreads.net

It sounds crazy but since I stopped using "metallic" needles, and started using Schmetz Universal 90 or 100 needles, my problems were solved. Also loosen the tension and use #50 or finer polyester bobbin thread. Sullky's bobbin thread works fine. I also read this recently in a book or magazine which confirmed what I already figured out for myself. The reason for the polyester bobbin thread is that cotton in the bobbin is what has a tendency to shred the top metallic thread. Polyester in the bobbin solves this. Hope this helps and works as well for you as it did for me.

Dorene
    Living Threads

Comment

Thanks dorene3, I had already addressed the tension, but using synthetic thread in the bobbin makes sense..I'll add this to my good things to remember book. :wink:

Linda
      Living Threads

Comment

Hey Dorene,
        I TOO have wanted to use metalic threads and those gorgeous sparkly threads from Sulky but I get sick to death with it breaking every 10 stitches! Now I can try the synthetic in the bobbin and see how that works for me! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
        Kip
        Living Threads

Comment

just a quick note to add, it some time helps to use a topstitching needle instead.
          Living Threads

Comment

I love using metallic thread both for machine embroidery and quilting!

The brand of metallic thread makes a big difference. Seems each brand has their own technique for constructing the thread.

I use King Star metallic thread, just about exclusively. I have made free standing lace angels (6 - 7 inches high) using this thread and never had a break. I have a paper-pieced angel that I plan to use metallic thread when quilting. Ahhhh - now you know about one of my UFOs.

Beverly
            Living Threads

Comment

Try using a needle with a larger size eye. Someone mentioned a top stitch needle already or you could try a denim needle - thats what I did and it worked ok
              Living Threads

Comment

You have just confirmed what Bob the thread guy said at the Super Seminar this weekend. Larger needle. Go to the Superior web site for 'everything you ever wanted to know about any kind of thread!'

Comment

I used to tear my hair out with metallic threads because they seemed to shred so easily, but I generally have success with them now. Some of the things I've learned to minimize metallic thread hassles are:
                  1. I use a very smooth, non-"furry" thread in my bobbin when I have a metallic in my top needle. A lot of threads, like cottons, actually have a furriness to them and when used in the bobbin, these kind of pull at and shred the metallic thread. I try to use Bottom Line by Superior Threads for the bobbin-it is a very fine, smooth thread that doesn't grab at the metallic and shred it.
                  2. I run a few rows of "Sewer's Aid," or liquid silicone along the metallic thread spool before I start. This just lightly lubricates it and helps it flow through the machine more smoothly. It does NOT gunk up your machine. This is NOT a viscous liquid-run some on your hand and you'll see it is like water. I have used it for many years and never had a problem with my machine.
                  3. There are only limited sizes of metallic needles available and I find the eyes are usually too small for the metallic threads I use. If you use a topstitch needle you have a bigger variety of sizes and the eye is quite large and will not cause the shredding of metallic threads that you see with smaller needles. Switching to a topstitching needle has helped me a lot. I am able to use Halo metallic thread, which was not even devised for use in the top needle, if I use the size 100 Topstitch needle and liquid silicone.

Comment

To add sparkle, and glitz, I like to use Metallic Glitter Thread to my quilted handbags. I use MonoPoly thread in the bobbin from Superior, it has stretch, and can with stand a hot iron. I also use a size 14 needle with the Superior Glitter Thread. I do not experience thread breakage. :wink:

Comment

Reviving this thread!

I use rayon thread in my bobbin and a Schmetz topstitch needle, size 130 90/14. No breakage whatsoever, and this is doing art quilts with layers of stitching!

Ruthann

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkwood
                        Reviving this thread!

I use rayon thread in my bobbin and a Schmetz topstitch needle, size 130 90/14. No breakage whatsoever, and this is doing art quilts with layers of stitching!

Ruthann
                        Ruthann, when you use rayon in the bobbin, what are you using for the top thread?

JoAnne in southern California

Comment

Originally posted by Rorimer
                          Ruthann, when you use rayon in the bobbin, what are you using for the top thread?

JoAnne in southern California
                          On my art quilts I use a wide variety of top threads -- the various metallics, rayon, polyester, cotton, silk...whatever color and type suits the needs of what I'm threadtracing ("painting" with thread). I heard about using rayon in the bobbin some time ago, and it really works well, especially with metallics. It's so slippery that the metallic slides right through it and doesn't twist and snag. Before trying rayon, I'd always have breakage with the metallics, no matter what size needle or tension settings I used.

Ruthann

Comment

Use a thread stand, plus everything else listed. And maybe go slower. Practice. You can do eet! :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 86 users online. 0 members and 86 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X