[vb_main_1]

Thread Breakage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread Breakage

I'm new to the world of embroidery machines...how much fun are they! :!: I've been embroidering with rayon or polyester threads, but last week took a class with Janice Stewart where we used Sulky 30 wt blendables. I was getting quite frustrated with thread breakage until I changed to a 90/14 jeans needle. I like the homespun-y look of cotton threads in embroidery...any other suggestions to prevent thread breakage? :?:

go to the website for whatever threads you're having trouble with breakage and check out what their recommendations are. I was having trouble with some MasterPiece breaking on me and contacted Superior, they replaced it no questions asked.

Sometimes adjusting the top tension in one of several ways will help, either up, down or avoiding that last thread insert right above the needle will help lessen the tension on the thread, and thereby prevent breakage.

Happy quilting,
    Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Teri, thanks so much for the reply. Wonderful advice, I really appreciate it! I had fun exploring the Sulky website, and will have to invest in one of their books.
      Teri

Comment

Does anyone else use Aurifil thread? It is just so expensive, but I love the look that it gives.
        Teri

Comment

Aurifil thread is wonderful. I also love Masterpiece from Superior which is a little les expensive. Both threads are almost lint free.
          DSBQLT
          Teri

Comment

Go to Superior Threads website and have them put you on their newsletter list. Each month they send about 3 or 4 pages of great tips. They also have monthly specials (good buys!). Bob will walk you through any problems you might have with suggestions for changes in needles, tension, etc.

re: Aurifil thread. It is the ONLY thread I will use for piecing! Try the variegated grey - it's terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by sewso
              I'm new to the world of embroidery machines...how much fun are they! :!: I've been embroidering with rayon or polyester threads, but last week took a class with Janice Stewart where we used Sulky 30 wt blendables. I was getting quite frustrated with thread breakage until I changed to a 90/14 jeans needle. I like the homespun-y look of cotton threads in embroidery...any other suggestions to prevent thread breakage? :?:
              I do almost all my embroidery exclusively with Sulky 30wt cotton, both solids and blendables, and I also use my Mettler 50wt mercerized silk finish cotton quite often as well, I LOVE the way these look for embroidery!

Here's a block I just finished with Sulky and Mettler cottons:

I use a 90/14 embroidery needle with these, I also use the regular stitch plate verus the straight stitch plate when embroidering with cotton, the bulk of these threads tend to pile up under the single hole of the straight stitch plate, so I don't use it. And last, I use the #9 presser foot on my Bernina when embroiderying with cottons, as the hole in the foot is larger. I also use the Bernina thread stand.

<a href="http://www.wanderingquilter.com">The Wandering Quilter's Life in a Box</a>

Comment

Ooooh, that's beautiful, cj! Thanks for your input. BTW, I love your site!
                (I'll never get anything done if I don't "step away from the computer")! :lol:
                Thanks all for your help! I'll master this art yet! :roll:

Comment

I discovered Aurofil a few months ago and couldn't be happier. The fact that you get about 3 times as much thread on a bobbin, as well as the finer thread in the piecing making the blocks slightly larger are big benefits. Also, it is incredibly strong - no breakage so far. :lol:

Sandy in North Idaho

Comment

Just thought I'd ask. Jan

Comment

Does old cotton thread break more easily. I was using YLI 40 gauge thread? thanks Jan

Comment

Sometimes exposure to light will weaken the outer layer of the cotton thread. If it breaks easily when you test it, just peel off that first layer of thread, and try the next layer to see if it's stronger. I've sometimes taken off two layers, and found that the third layer down was still nice and strong.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 77 users online. 0 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X