[vb_main_1]

Used quilting frame

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used quilting frame

I have the opportunity to purchase a 5yr old Grace Pinnacle quilting frame and not knowing what to look for when I go to have a look at it .I would appreciate any help as what to look for and what questions to ask . Thankyou

Be sure you will actually use the frame first. Personally, I find them very cumbersome unless hand quilting a very large quilt or working in a group on a single quilt. I received a high end quilt frame as a gift and learned after using it that I prefer lap quilting. I'd suggest that you test using a frame before buying one, to see if it fits your space, if you can comfortably reach across it while sitting in your favorite chair, and if it's easy to move your quilt around in it. Also, be sure you like how the frame works for quilting the edges of your quilt.

Comment

Nancy, I started to reply on this post but then realized that this might be a frame for machine quilting. I looked it up on the internet and it is so I was of no help.

Comment

I don't have experience with the Pinnacle frame but I do own their Grace Hoop II. It is a hoop frame and is really nice so I would expect the same quality from the Pinnacle. I did not like having the quilt rest on my arms with the hoop frame because it created a lot of tension on my shoulders. Therefore, I went with a regular quilting frame (the one Alex Anderson has in her videos). It does take a while to get used to quilting on a frame, but once I was comfortable, I would not go back to a hoop. It does take up a great deal of real estate so you have to make sure you had adequate room for it.

I also learned to quilt with my thumb and other fingers so I can quilt in all directions without having to move my body in an odd direction. I really enjoy it and find myself easily losing hours before I realize it. Good luck in your decision-making.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I am like Nancy. I've used a large quilting frame but latter learned I liked lap quilting much better. I am short and found it hard to reach on a large frame. I also like to change positions so quilting in my lap allowed me to do that. But I am sure this is a very individual thing. No right or wrong, just what is comfortable for you. I'd almost want to be able to try it out. I now do very little hand quilting because arthritis in the fingers has taken the fun out of it. Machine quilting is more enjoyable for me now.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
            Nancy, I started to reply on this post but then realized that this might be a frame for machine quilting. I looked it up on the internet and it is so I was of no help.
            Thanks! I didn't think of that.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21 users online. 0 members and 21 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X