No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Getting Quilt Ready for the Fair, noticed problems, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Quilt Ready for the Fair, noticed problems, HELP!

[[/attachment]So I posted this quilt on a blog a few months ago and decided to hang it in my living room to enjoy before submitting it in the local county fair. I noticed that the scalloped edges curl out. I haven't had that or seen that problem on scalloped edges before. Hopefully my picture will appear. You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful. Any ideas. I need to submit it on the 19th of July. I also really don't have a great deal of knowledge about blocking quilts. Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sharon

It looks beautiful.

Have you tried pressing before you go for blocking ?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

It's not that obvious in the photo. It could be from hanging. How about taking it down, laying it flat on the floor, pressing by hand to get it strait and square and see if the scallops ripple or curl up. If they do, try using a steam iron to press them flat. That's not full blocking but might save you from wetting the whole quilt in a 'real' blocking.

Comment

i dont really know from my self, but i saw nancy zeeman put a wood right after she press with hot iron.
        i think you might need a big peace of wood for this one, but if it will help, it worth it!
        good luck

Comment

Originally posted by beckyezra
          i dont really know from my self, but i saw nancy zeeman put a wood right after she press with hot iron.
          i think you might need a big peace of wood for this one, but if it will help, it worth it!
          good luck
          Using a wooden block right after pressing with an iron is a tailors technique to hold the fabric in place/flat whilst it is cooling down so that the fibres set in the required shape - if moved whilst still warm they won't stay so nice. You don't need a huge piece of wood, but you do need to work slowly over the entire area.

Thanks for the reminder Becky, that is probably what I ought to be doing with my quilt top to get it really nice too :wink:

Comment

Do you guys happen to know what show she demonstrated the wood technique. That does sound like a great tip and wood (hehe) try it.

Comment

Originally posted by sewengel
              Do you guys happen to know what show she demonstrated the wood technique. That does sound like a great tip and wood (hehe) try it.
              Is this the same as using a "clapper" in garment sewing? They use a piece of hardwood to do the technique. If you googled "clapper for pressing" or something like that, you would probably find some you tube videos.

Kathy

Comment

Yes it is also known as a clapper. Press a section using an iron and with steam, remove the iron and place the clapper in it's place until the whole thing is cool, (3-4 mnutes at least) and then move onto the next section.

Comment

You guys are awesome!! I don't have a clapper, but do have a 2x4 piece of wood that I will sand tonight and use. Thanks gals.

Sharon

Comment

Just wrap it in muslin then you won't need to sand it!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X