[vb_main_1]

Kool Kaliedoscope - Trimming Pieced Wedges

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kool Kaliedoscope - Trimming Pieced Wedges

I just made my first Kool Kaliedoscope quilt. I was very careful in cutting and sewing each piece together to make the wedges. Where I ran into trouble was how to trim each completed wedge consistently so that they would fit together properly. I failed here and ended up placing applique'd circles in the worst spots. It turned out OK, but I would like to make another one and don't want to have the same problem.

I watched the Quilt Show episode where Ricky demonstrates the technique, ordered and read his book, and ordered and watched the video. Trimming the wedges is covered only briefly in that you place the wedge template on top and trim to 1/4". But what if one has less than 1/4' in some spots? Has anyone made this quilt? Do you have any suggestions or tips for trimming the pieced wedges? Any help is very much appreciated.

I haven't made one of these, but I have fudged my seams (down to 1/8") to get things to fit. You could try drawing the stitching line onto the reverse of your wedge using a chalk pencil (if dark or wool fabrics) or an ordinary pencil if pale cottons - or the marker of your choice, and then lining up the edges that are 1/4" and pin those that aren't. If only one piece has smaller seam allowances I would have that one on top to keep an eye on the stitching line. I would also use a slightly smaller stitch on my machine too.

Comment

I had to sew together blocks that were not very accurate last week and had points to match which was a nightmare so after frog-stitching 3 times I decided I had had enough. I cut freezer paper the size the blocks SHOULD be - ironed them onto the blocks trying not to cut off points anywhere and actually in places stretched the blocks to make sure I had enough seam allowance. Once I had ironed the freezer paper on the blocks I matched the freezer paper both sides and stitched the blocks together with the freezer paper attached. When I had finished I steamed and starched the blocks flat and am now in the process of quilting them. I am quilting fairly closely to make sure that no block will start to create small mole hills. When I have finished the quilting I will wash out the starch.
      I don't know if this method can possibly help you because it was not a Kaleidoscope project and I don't know if freezer paper is widely available where you are (very expensive here in Europe) but sometimes it is a question of getting desperate enough to try anything
      Good luck with your next KK quilt. I would love to try one once my piecing techniques improve.
      Marianne

Comment

It has been a while since I made mine but I think I ironed the wedge piece (that had been cut out of freezer paper) to my sewn strips of fabric and then cut 1/4" outside the edge of the freezer paper. Hmmm...if this is not how I did it, I can't imagine how I did. :?

Comment

Does Ricky have instructions for this somewhere?

Comment

It's probably in here: http://www.rickytims.com/online-stor...;category_id=1

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

And in show 403 (sorry I forgot to collect the link)

Comment

http://watch/watch-shows/video/show-...-kaleidoscopes

Comment

Check out this forum thread. I think that Ricky's third comment may address your problem. HTH.

http://forum/just-ricky/6148-kaleids...lting-question

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 39 users online. 0 members and 39 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X