[vb_main_1]

Overall quilting starter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall quilting starter

I'm very new to long-arm quilting. When quilting an overall design on a LONG-ARM, do I need to stabilize anything other than the top.bottom/sides with my basting? Any stabilization on the inside of the quilt? Do I start in a corner??

Welcome drmcgregor! You've come to the right place!! Check out the TQS classroom sessions by Linda V. Taylor. You can navigate to them from the purple bar at the top of the page or just click here: learn/classrooms/

Have fun!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I'll look forward to watching the videos. But could you share with me if I need to stabilize a quilt (other than the top/bottom/edges) for a long-arm quilter when doing an all-over design. Also, do I start in the corner?

Comment

If you will look over the topics that Linda covers in the TQS classroom, she tells you how to load and stabilize your quilt. There is lots of great info in her videos!

Some quilters will only stabilize the edges with stitching, others will actually baste every 4"-6" with water soluble thread that will dissolve when the quilt is washed. Others will pin baste in some areas after doing SID work to stabilize the top as the quilt is advanced.

As for starting in a corner, it depends on how you are quilting it. Using a panto? You would probably start in a corner. So that answer would depend on what type of quilting you will do over the entire quilt.

You might find more helpful info in Linda V. Taylors' book: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide...linda+v+taylor

and her web site: http://www.thequiltingschool.com/tea...00-taylor.html

Comment

After you load the quilt, the top and bottom should already be stabilized. You baste the sides as you work down the quilt. Nothing else is needed for an overall design. You can start anywhere you want, but generally an overall is worked from left to right if you are in front of the machine or right to left if you are in the back.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X