[vb_main_1]

corners on prairie points

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

corners on prairie points

None of the articles or videos I've accessed address how to handle how to hide the corners when folding the backing over the batting and whip stitching the backing to hide the 1/4" seam allowance that resulted when outward pointing prairie points were attached to a quilt. Several area quilters have given their opinions, but I haven't been able to adequately hide the bulk and the stitching in the corners.

I'd appreciate some help on this.

Hmm, I have no help for you but am interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Comment

What timing... I was just looking through an old quiltmaker's Newslwtter mag. July/August 2009, and in the bulletin board they address this question: the two points at the corners should just meet at the miter. I.e pin lining of the quilt (backing) out of the way, lay prairie points on the quilt edge, raw edge out on the edge of the quilt, the points of the corner PP's should meet on the miter. Stitch to quilt top using 1/4" seam. Press points away from quilt with seam allowance turned to the back. Trim batting away from seam allowance to reduce bulk. Turn under the raw edge of the lining (backing) so that it covers the line of stitching on the back and press. Blind stitch lining (backing) in place. I have pictures, but can't put them on here because of copyrights, so hope it still makes sense...

Comment

I understand what you're saying and have gotten to the step where the prairie points (PP) are sewn to the quilt top, the points turned, the batting and backing trimmed. The backing has been folded over the batting and basted to hide the 1/4" seam on the PP. Everything works fine until I get to a corner. Someone suggested sewing the "bunny ears" of the two corner PPs so they stay down. However, no matter how carefully I position the backing, I can still see a couple of the stitches where the two corner PPs meet. The attached photo is a little blurry but shows the problem.

Thanks.

Comment

I just checked the prairie point quilt my mother made for one of my daughters years ago. She rounded the corner of the
          quilt so didn't have the problem. :lol: I have not taken that much care on the PP Quilts I've made -- just let it go :? ; however,
          I'm visualizing either cutting off the bunny ears at a sharp angle and treating the edges with fray check or even sewing a sharp
          angle corner to the bunny ear before sewing it down. That would be a lot of work, but on a special quilt worth the time.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X