[vb_main_1]

Label placement on backing BEFORE quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Label placement on backing BEFORE quilting

I've searched and searched and searched the internet for help on this. Sure everyone suggests machine sewing the label on the back before it is quilted. NO ONE says actually how to achieve it......there is not one source I can find that demonstrates how to actually do it............

So if you have your quilt pin basted, how do you judge where to place the label, and what do you physically do? Do you unpin just those few basting pins in that spot, so you can temporarily unfasten the layering to get at the spot to machine sew the label on? The goal is to sew the label to the back by machine so that the bobbin stitches will not be visible to the front at all. Some tips as to how this is physically achieved, or any internet sources for this, would be most appreciated!

Pat

When I've put the label on the back before quilting, I've either pieced it into the back or sewed it on the back before basting. But I don't care whether my label is in an exact position, like 3" from the binding or whatever. I just put it in the corner where I want it. It sounds like you're looking for an exact placement so this probably doesn't help you.

Nancy

Comment

No I'm not looking for exact, exact placement, I am looking for steps to follow as to how to achieve it. How do you know you reached the appropriate corner or 3" from the binding? Remember - this is only in the basting stage, no binding has been sewn and the quilt is not quilted.

Pat

Comment

Well, I cut the backing about 2-3" larger per side than the front. I generally put my label in the lower right-hand corner of the backing. So I put it something like 6" in from each side of the lower right-hand corner of the backing. Maybe a little bit more, just to be safe. I then pin baste on the floor and check to make sure I put the top in the right place before I start basting. That has always been good enough for me.

Nancy

Comment

I think what you are wanting to do is to be able to sew the label on while quilting... but not have the quilting go over the label? Is that correct? I am not sure that really can be done - or not easily for sure!

When I've sewn the label at the same time as the quilting, I just hand applique the label to the backing a good bit in from the lower corner before I sandwich the quilt layers. Then quilt as usual, letting the quilting stitches go right over the label -- that's the point, to secure the label into the quilt with the quilting stitches. I like to applique the label beforehand because otherwise there are unstitched edges on the label and I don't like that look.

Clear as mud?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X