[vb_main_1]

Some resources for help with Zipper Phobia

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some resources for help with Zipper Phobia

Has just the sight of a zipper ever given you a panic attack?
    That was me many years ago. I would do anything to avoid sewing items with a zipper!
    I have a friend whose DH puts in zippers for her. Now that's a lucky girl!

The only way I was able to overcome my fear of zippers, was to make myself sew them in.
    Seriously, I forced myself to take 2 pieces of scrap fabric & a zipper and just have a go at it.
    The first few were terrible, but then after not too many attempts, I started to think, "Hey, that
    one looks OK." And before you know it I was never intimidated by zippers!
    Isn't this the way with learning lots of things? Practice, practice.

Check out any or all of the following links. Have some chocolate for courage!
    Soon you too will conquer your fear of zippers!

Check out Jamie Fingal's work. She has made some amazing art quilts using zippers.
    http://jamiefingaldesigns.blogspot.com/

For an easy to follow, with lots of photos, tutorial, look here:
    http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/10...ic-zipper.html

This link is a list of a variety of tutorials from many sources:
    http://iwilllearntosew.blogspot.com/...l-roundup.html

I even came across a zipper system for quilting machines. Have any of you seen this?
    http://stores.longarmconnection.com/...Categories.bok

And remember, the Zipper Police do not exist. You don't have to do it the "right" way. After all,
    a zipper is just a strip of fabric that can be sewn between 2 other strips of fabric.

Good luck! It's a New Day! And you can do it!

Thanks Roseanne. I definitely have a zipper phobia. I will check out all of those links and maybe ....

Comment

I certainly had zipper phobia, I remember buying a culotte pattern that had 6 buttons to avoid putting in a zipper I prefered the idea of hand sewing 6 button holes to the alternative!

What helped me to get over it was being shown how to put in a zip with a single large lap of fabric instead of the double lap to hid it, that I found much easier because the double lap always wandered from side to side, even when pinned, basted and finally sewn :roll:

I also prefer to use concealed zips where possible, again I have been shown tricks of how to get them in - first open the zip up, then uncurl the teeth and iron them flat(ish), then you can sew really close to the teeth to get the maximum concealment. The teeth curl back to position with use. Also have the zip 1" longer than the split it is being put into (especially for garments). However concealed zips do not like going over/across seams or bulk, so be careful when using them in these circumstances.

Putting them into bags is good, because you don't want lapped zips and they are the easiest of all to put in, Put a short strip across the bottom and top of the zip and fold back, then put in a long strip down each side & fold back the pretend it is one piece of fabric to set into the bag, with the hole to turn it through already sorted.

I still dislike doing zips, but having been shown a couple of good techniques and due to lots of practise I am now pretty competent at doing them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 201 users online. 0 members and 201 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X