[vb_main_1]

Help! I've got fusible thread on the front of my quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I've got fusible thread on the front of my quilt

I've had a stupid day and among my many mistakes I've managed to get fusible thread stuck to the front of my quilt block. I've tried using Goo Gone on a Q tip on it but that hasn't worked. Any suggestions please?

As I recall, there is another topic about removing fusible web. I typed in removing fusible in the search area.
    So look at that.

On there, I posted to cover the area with aluminum foil and heat with the iron and the fusible adheres to the foil. You might have to heat the thread (covered by foil) and then pull the fibers off and repeat the process to get rid of the remaining fusible. BUT first try a sample to make sure that the process will work with your specifics. Good luck!

Coast of South Carolina USA
    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

If you try this, please let us know how it works for you! Good luck!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

And if it doesn't work...........you are gonna need a new photo.......without the smile! :-(

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
          And if it doesn't work...........you are gonna need a new photo.......without the smile! :-(

Lynn
          Or some creative applique.

Comment

Hi,
            well people, I have mixed results to report. I replicated the mistake on another piece of the same material with a fairly large clump of fusible thread. After 1/2 hour I did as instructed. The fusible thread softened and then started to harden again. As it did so I was able to peel it off the material. Which then appeared perfect.

Heartened I tried the same thing on my quilt block. The fusible came off but left a greasy looking mark. I tried ironing it with kitchen roll (paper towels) - all evening - without success. So I though ***** and soaked the flaming thing over night. It looked exactly the same. I tried applying some gentle soap to the spots and rubbing vigourously. It looked perfect - until it dried. So my partner soaked it in stain remover for an hour and then he washed it in the machine. Nothing moved. So I might embroider over it or just learn to love it.

Thanks for the help. I'm still smiling. Now where is the whisky?

Comment

Glad you are still smiling and thank you for the update.

Comment

Ordinary whisky is no good in situations like that, but Scottish Single Malt will definitely help.

May I humbly suggest that you stick a piece of tartan material over the mark.

Apologies. Couldn't resist. It's been a difficult day in school........ off to get myself just a very small single malt before heading for bed.
                From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

If you want to try one more thing try Dawn dish detergent. I have found it cuts grease on most stains. I have even used it with success on clothing that had been washed and dried. Worth a try if your top can stand up to another washing.

Comment

If it is grease, my family recipe is 50/50 Fairy Liquid with white spirit, in a small jam jar, shake it to mix (with the lid on! :wink: ) It will go cloudy green and turn into a gel. Rub it on to the grease spot, then wash. My Mother got grease stains out a leather vest using this mixture. I don't know how it works with other washing up liquids, we always used Fairy.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                      If it is grease, my family recipe is 50/50 Fairy Liquid with white spirit, in a small jam jar, shake it to mix (with the lid on! :wink: ) It will go cloudy green and turn into a gel. Rub it on to the grease spot, then wash. My Mother got grease stains out a leather vest using this mixture. I don't know how it works with other washing up liquids, we always used Fairy.
                      I don't think we have Fairy Liquid this side of the pond, and I don't know what white spirit might be. But it does sound rather potent and I might need to have some on hand just in case. Lois

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                        This sounds positively magical! :lol: :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I just did a quick search for Fairy Liquid and it is available on-line on this side of the pond! One of the websites is http://www.britishfooddepot.com just type in Fairy in the search area once you get to the main page.

Comment

Further information on 'White spirit' from the label.
                            full name 'White Spirit BS 245'
                            general uses - for thinning solvent based paints, cleaning brushes and general degreasin.
                            Contains: Naphtha (petroleum) hydrodssulfurized heavy EC No 265-185-4

For those who want even more information, go here http://www.birdbrand.co.uk/msds/Whit...BS245_2006.pdf

It is not good for the skin, as it is a very efficient de-greaser,

My DH says that it is a version of Swarfega, but cheaper, and is not too keen on using it, but I remember my dad and brother using it whenever they had to work on the car or bikes, to clean themselves up afterwards. Besides you don't need much and just treat it with the respect that you would any other powerful household cleaners. It is probably possible to use other washing up liquids, it is just that in UK Fairy is the best, IMO

Comment

Hi,
                              just to update everyone:
                              We made up the Fairy Liquid/white spirit mixture. Then I applied it with a Q Tip. It didn't make much diference. So I threw caution to the wind, applied a heavy amount and rubbed. Where the fusible had been thickest the result was the best. If you know where the mark was you can still make it out but I don't think it would be immediately apparent to someone seeing it for the first time. Where the fusible was thinnest the result was not so good. Of course the drawback of using the mix was that the fabric absolutely stank afterwards and had to have a machine wash to remove the smell.

Summary:
                              When the fusible gets onto your work cover it with kitchen foil (aluminium foil) and iron. Thicker fusible can be peeled off as it softens. Thinner fusible transfers itself to the foil a bit at a time. The fusible that transfers to the foil is often so faint it is difficult to see. So care has to be taken to keep applying a fresh section of foil or it may soil the fabric.

Washing does not remove any greasy residue but the 50/50 Fairy Liquid/white spirit mix removed the worst of it. It could not be applied to anything that could not be washed as it is so smelly - and possibly flamable. The difficulty in using it was once the cloth was wet it was very hard to see where the mark was. It might be worth putting safety pins around the area before applying the mix. It also might be worth trying the Fairy Liquid (or other decent detergent) by itself.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21 users online. 0 members and 21 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X