[vb_main_1]

Advice about 'Retayne'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice about 'Retayne'

I have a question that I'm sure somebody will be able to answer: I have a small bottle of Retayne. The instructions are for use with a washing machine. I'm wondering if that stuff would also be effective if used in a hand wash??

Lorchen
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Originally posted by Lorchen
    I have a question that I'm sure somebody will be able to answer: I have a small bottle of Retayne. The instructions are for use with a washing machine. I'm wondering if that stuff would also be effective if used in a hand wash??

Lorchen
    Lorchen, if she doesn't see this on the forum, you might want to send a PM to Vicki Welsh: community/my-profile/VWelsh

And check out her blog while you're at it! http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Lorchen, I have used it with small batches of fabric by hand. I just reduce the amount so it's correct for my fabric yardage (sometimes it's just a teaspoon or so) and use a washbasin with very hot water. Agitate by hand, rinse thoroughly.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
        Lorchen, I have used it with small batches of fabric by hand. I just reduce the amount so it's correct for my fabric yardage (sometimes it's just a teaspoon or so) and use a washbasin with very hot water. Agitate by hand, rinse thoroughly.

HTH
        Thanks Michelle! Do you need to use gloves when you do this by hand??

Comment

I would use gloves because that way I can tolerate hotter water.

Thanks Margo and Michelle.

I normally use 'colour catchers' (in the machine or hand wash), but I was given this bottle of Retayne and so I might as well use it.

Comment

Well, gloves do help with that hot hot water!! LOL But you could also use a wooden spoon to agitate and keep your hands out of the hot water as much as possible.

Lorchen you can still use the color catchers in the wash when you wash the finished quilt. Just a little bit of insurance.

Comment

Absolutely, Michelle. I was not going to trust a product that's new to me. The box of colour catchers is always on top of my washing machine.

Comment

I always handwash with the Retayne. I put the hot water in a basin, mix in some Retayne, then add the fabric. I usually put on rubber gloves and swish the fabric a bit and cover as much of it with water as I can. Then I let it soak however long it says on the bottle.

Comment

I, too, use Retayne in the sink using hot water, stir it around, and let it sit a while. Then rinse in cold water. Works just fine.

Comment

Lorchen,
                    What are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to get all of the loose dye molecules out of your fabric you do not want to use Retayne. You want to use Synthrapol or some other detergent with your color catchers. Retayne causes loose dye molecules to fuse to your fabric. That's fine if you are working with solid fabrics but if you are working with a red and white print, for example, the red molecules will stick to the fabric turning the white areas pink. Here are 2 blog posts that I have written about Retayne and color fastness in fabric. Maybe one of them will help answer your question.

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...d-fabrics.html

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...d-fabrics.html

Vicki Welsh
                    http://vickiwelsh.com

Comment

Thank you very much, Vicki! I have always been unsure about the difference between Retayne and Synthrapol. So it's best to continue using the colour catchers and keep the Retayne for when I want to make a single fabric colourfast.

Just one more question..... I always have just one more question..... Has Retayne a 'shelf life' or will it still be effective in, let's say, 4 years time??

Comment

I honestly don't know for sure about Retayne but I expect it has a very long shelf life. I know I had it on my shelf for several years before I used mine and, unfortunately, it still worked!

Vicki
                        http://vickiwelsh.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                          Thank you very much, Vicki! I have always been unsure about the difference between Retayne and Synthrapol. So it's best to continue using the colour catchers and keep the Retayne for when I want to make a single fabric colourfast.

Just one more question..... I always have just one more question..... Has Retayne a 'shelf life' or will it still be effective in, let's say, 4 years time??

Lorchen, The way I understand the two:

Retayne - It RETAINS the dye. So use it to prewash commercial fabrics before they are cut and pieced into a quilt or garment. You can group like colors together in the wash: Reds, blues, etc. Unless, as Vicki says, there is a lot of white with those colors, then it is a risk. Retayne will set any errant dye in the wash water onto the fabric.

Synthrapol - This is a detergent and is used to wash quilts etc after construction. It will lift any errant dye off the fabrics and keep them suspended in the water, preventing them from setting on any parts of the quilt. Color Catchers work similarly, but I cannot comment on whether one is better than the other. You can use both without worry in the same wash.

As for shelf life... I had a bottle of Retayne for many years (at least 5 or more), half used. I went to use it recently, and it had clouded. I tossed it. I think once opened, and after a few years, you would be wise to do a test on a scrap of red, to see if it still works. JMHO

Comment

Thank Michelle! I just love it how any question gets answered in such detail and so quickly here in the forum!

Comment

I'm washing 11 similar commercial fabrics in the washer. I've been alternating the Retayne and Synthrapol and something is still running. I'm not sure what temp I've been using, I'll try it again with hot water. If that doesn't work, any suggestions? They are for a block swap and I don't want something ruining other people's quilts.

Frances

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 82 users online. 0 members and 82 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X