[vb_main_1]

Repairing old quilt binding.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing old quilt binding.

I have an old quilt (1940's) that needs new binding. It is not an hierloom or museum piece but I would like to "preserve" it as much as I can. For binding that is worn out all the way around should I remove the old and apply double fold binding? Or, keep it intact and apply single fold binding over what is already there? Or, am I totally off base and need to do something else? I usually sew binding on the front by machine and tack down on the back by hand.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Janee, depending on the design of the quilt, I would either try to remove the old binding or, if it's in REALLY bad shape, maybe even just trim it off if it won't mess up the design of the top, and apply a new double folded binding as if it were a new quilt. If you do decide to just trim it, I would stitch a line of basting or stay-stitches around the perimeter that the new binding will cover BEFORE trimming off the old binding. I've done it both ways with success. Good luck!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Janee, I'd remove the old binding and put a double folded new one on. If you leave the old binding on and cover it with a single fold binding it'll wear quite quickly where there is some unevenness under the new binding.
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Thanks Margo and Lorchen for the advice. I'm glad I checked this out before just attacking it.
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 140 users online. 0 members and 140 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X