[vb_main_1]

Does anybody know?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know?

Is there someone who knows where I can find a pattern to make a Victorian Pincushion, in a star shape - a 3D version - like this

http://www.quiltmuseum.org.uk/collec...incushion.html

Hope someone can help, I would like to make a few of these for Christmas.
    Thanks!
    Jacky
    :lol:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

They look like equalateral triangles to me, and the listing says that you need 60 of them, from card covered with fabric, then start making them up into pyramids, and then start trying to put the pyramids together. Looks like a fun thing to play with.

Comment

Hi Rosemary! Thanks for the reply. I've made the template and assembled the first 'cone' But it isn't as straightforward as it looks! How do you 'get in there' when joining the cones together? As it is over cardboard, it is joined on the right side! LOL! Think it might keep me quiet for a bit!

Comment

The individual cones look as if they are sewn together with oversewing/casting, I think that the 'inside' angles could be ladder stitch, for those I would suggest that you find a nice long needle - a darner perhaps, or maybe you might want to try a curved needle if you can find one.

I'm not so sure about keeping you quiet, but it will certainly keep you out of mischief :wink:

By the way, I've found japanese ring thimble making to keep me out of mischief - as if I needed anything else to do :roll: :lol:

Comment

Rather than making cones first and needing to "get in there" to connect them, I would begin by sewing pairs of triangles together. Then use that seam as the "valley" of the cones as I position a pair with another to stitch the "ridges" which would be easier to access as it becomes three dimensional than the valleys would be. Does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, I think so Lynn - I had figured out that pairs would work better and have made a few. I think I understand what you mean! I'll be having a go later on! Thanks a lot J x

Comment

Best of luck! Pretty project. Please post pics when you are done! Happy stitching!

Comment

great project - think i'll have to have a go at it sometime too (but not THIS christmas)
                rosemary: love that thimble ring - wow

Comment

Rosemary the thimble ring is wonderful! The pincushion looks a little intimidating but I think it would make a wonderful Christmas tree ornament.

Comment

I think this may be what you are looking for from the book by Hilary More "Pretty things Easy to Make " isbn 1-85470-009-x
                    I made them as christmas ornaments years ago,

Comment

Thanks Dorothy for taking the trouble to do that for me! That's just what I am after. I'll post a picture when I'm done!! Jacky x

Comment

Jacky, it is all your fault - that and the empty jaffa cake box! ( :lol: )

The triangles are 1" side length (x 60)
                        I used taffeta (same as Lorchan was asking about previously) NOT a good idea! I ended up sticking the fabric on the cards using copydex before sewing.
                        Spiritsfold was right in her assesment, sew them together in pairs rights sides together first, then start combining them into pyramids.
                        The last 4 1/2 sides were the worst to stitch, I ended up needing to use some pliers to help pull the needle through as I couldn't get a decent grip.
                        All I need now is some really short pins to put the beads on with (I am so not going to stitch them on :evil: )

Apart from all that it was quite fun and I could work on it in the lounge rather than just in the sewing room - now I just need to try and find where I put my tailors thimble down :roll:

Comment

Very nice, Rosemary!

Comment

Aaahhh.... the itsy-bitsy star is lovely!

Lorchen
                            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Rosemary,
                              Very pretty!! Need a new project? make a big one and trick it out with flashing Christmas lights! LOL

Reminds me of ones my mom use to make.
                              With Christmas cards a hole punch and yarn.
                              No where near as fancy but a nice memory!
                              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 314 users online. 0 members and 314 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X